Melbourne wants to extend grand prix deal

MELBOURNE Tue Feb 5, 2013 12:52pm IST

Toro Rosso Formula One driver Jean-Eric Vergne (L) of France and his team mate Daniel Ricciardo of Australia drive during a practice session of the Australian F1 Grand Prix at the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne March 16, 2012. REUTERS/Daniel Munoz/Files

Toro Rosso Formula One driver Jean-Eric Vergne (L) of France and his team mate Daniel Ricciardo of Australia drive during a practice session of the Australian F1 Grand Prix at the Albert Park circuit in Melbourne March 16, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Daniel Munoz/Files

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Melbourne wants to retain its Formula One grand prix beyond the remaining three years of the current deal despite large annual losses, Victoria state premier Ted Baillieu said on Tuesday.

Critics of the race, which moved from Adelaide to Albert Park in 1996, say losses of A$50 million a year are a waste of public money but Baillieu said it was a major asset for the city.

"There are three more races under the current contracts and we will see out those and commence discussions at an appropriate time," he told reporters in Melbourne.

"I say again the grand prix has been good for this state, good for this city and is a key part of our major events calendar and that calendar gives Victoria a competitive edge.

"I am very confident that the grand prix has been good for Melbourne and Victoria, will be good for Melbourne and Victoria.

"We intend to do whatever we can to ensure our major events calendar remains strong and the grand prix has been a part of that and we look forward to it being a part in the future."

The row over the future of the race exploded again last month when the Herald Sun newspaper reported leaked documents as revealing that the Victorian government paid Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone more than A$30 million a year for the rights.

Baillieu said the report had misrepresented the nature of the fee.

"Those fees cover the arrival, the production of the grand prix itself - all of the equipment and personnel that is brought here - and they go to the company which runs the grands prix around the world," he said.

With cities around the world lining up to host Formula One races at times more conducive to large television audiences in Europe, Ecclestone has long made it clear that the sport could walk away from Australia if a new deal is not struck.

The Australian Grand Prix opens the new Formula One season on March 17.

(Reporting by Nick Mulvenney, editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Formula One

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Honouring Putin

Honouring Putin

FINA stands by decision to honour Putin.  Full Article 

ATP World Tour

ATP World Tour

Murray in Tour Finals, Djokovic and Federer win.  Full Article 

Neymar at Olympics

Neymar at Olympics

Neymar to be called up for Brazil's 2016 Olympic team.  Full Article 

Rio's Suspension

Rio's Suspension

Rio faces fight to get back into QPR side, says Redknapp   Full Article 

Nigeria vs FIFA

Nigeria vs FIFA

Nigeria set to avoid FIFA suspension after court case is dropped  Full Article 

International Career

International Career

Controversial batsman Ryder gets World Cup lifeline.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device  Full Coverage