Philippines issues lowest-level tsunami alert, no evacuation
MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines issued a tsunami alert level 1, its lowest alert level, and warned residents along the country's eastern coast to stand-by for possible evacuation orders after a strong earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands on Wednesday.
"No evacuation yet, people should just be alert," Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, told Reuters.
(Reporting by Rosemarie Francisco; Editing by Ken Wills)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- One dead, one wounded in shooting in Chicago financial district
- Israel, Palestinians locked in vicious circle of Gaza wars
- U.S. says hopeful of WTO deal with India only hours before deadline
- UPDATE 2-Bombardier plans more job cuts, Russia plans intact
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, facing international alarm over a rising civilian death toll in Gaza, said on Thursday he would not accept any ceasefire that stopped Israel completing the destruction of militants' infiltration tunnels. Full Article