Philippines issues lowest-level tsunami alert, no evacuation
MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines issued a tsunami alert level 1, its lowest alert level, and warned residents along the country's eastern coast to stand-by for possible evacuation orders after a strong earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands on Wednesday.
"No evacuation yet, people should just be alert," Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, told Reuters.
(Reporting by Rosemarie Francisco; Editing by Ken Wills)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 2-Girl who fatally shot Arizona gun instructor said weapon was too powerful
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- 100 days of Modi: Good for business, not so good for marginalised groups
- Comedian Joan Rivers still on life support - daughter
- Celebrity hacking clouds Apple's upcoming product launch
Even for a freelance journalist covering the tumult in the Arab world, Steven Sotloff's travels seemed nonstop. Colleagues and acquaintances recalled Sotloff as a generous man fascinated by journalism and the changes gripping the Middle East, and determined to tell stories from the perspective of average people. Full Article | Video