MANILA The Philippines issued a tsunami alert level 1, its lowest alert level, and warned residents along the country's eastern coast to stand-by for possible evacuation orders after a strong earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands on Wednesday.
"No evacuation yet, people should just be alert," Renato Solidum, head of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology, told Reuters.
(Reporting by Rosemarie Francisco; Editing by Ken Wills)
Trending On Reuters
Malaysia is "almost certain" plane debris washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion is part of a Boeing 777, its deputy transport minister said, heightening the possibility it could be wreckage from missing Flight MH370. Full Article
- Afghan Taliban name a new leader, but peace talks delayed
- Landslide near Nepal's popular Annapurna trek route kills 30
- After Russia U.N. veto, countries seek court for Flight MH17 prosecutions
- China to prosecute former top officer for graft
- U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing - source