Russia's Putin sacks official over Olympic delays
MOSCOW (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin dismissed a senior Russian Olympic Committee official on Thursday because of delays in construction work for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Putin had criticised Akhmed Bilalov, the vice president of Russia's Olympic Committee, after he was told of the delays at the ski jumping venue and that costs had risen.
"People who do not fulfil their obligations on such a scale cannot lead the Olympic movement in our country," Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak told reporters in Sochi.
(Reporting by Alexei Anishchuk, Writing by Alissa de Carbonnel, Editing by Timothy Heritage)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Controlling the message: Modi chooses state media
- IBM to pay Globalfoundries $1.5 bln to take chip unit off its hands -WSJ
- U.S. military says air-drops weapons for Kurdish fighters near Kobani
- Microsoft plans to launch smartwatch within weeks: Forbes
- Soccer-Indian league gets off to strong start with FIFA endorsement
Liverpool scored a stunning 3-2 win over bottom side Queens Park Rangers with four goals coming in a frenzied seven-minute finale at Loftus Road as the drama continued in the Premier League on Sunday. Full Article