Messi signs new contract with Barcelona until 2018
MADRID (Reuters) - World Player of the Year Lionel Messi has signed a new contract with Barcelona which ties him until June 30 2018, the Spanish league leaders said on Thursday.
The 25-year-old penned a deal agreed in December, which includes a two-year extension on his previous agreement and secures his services until he is 31.
The Argentina captain joined Barcelona's youth academy as a 13-year-old and made his first-team debut at 16.
Messi is Barca's leading scorer of all time, he has been the top scorer in the Champions League for the last four years and racked up a calendar year record 91 goals for club and country in 2012.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- As Nepali sherpa families cremate Everest victims, anger grows |
- Bangalore-bound Malaysian plane lands safely after landing gear scare
- Bangalore-bound Malaysia Airlines plane turns back after tyre burst on takeoff
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- Supreme Court allows iron ore mining in Goa with upper limit of 20 million tonnes
EXIT ON CARDS
Manchester United are set to sack manager David Moyes less than a year after he took charge of the club, British media reported. Moyes was appointed last May when Alex Ferguson retired after guiding the club to their 13th Premier League title. United are languishing in seventh place in the Premier League. Full Article