Messi signs new contract with Barcelona until 2018
MADRID (Reuters) - World Player of the Year Lionel Messi has signed a new contract with Barcelona which ties him until June 30 2018, the Spanish league leaders said on Thursday.
The 25-year-old penned a deal agreed in December, which includes a two-year extension on his previous agreement and secures his services until he is 31.
The Argentina captain joined Barcelona's youth academy as a 13-year-old and made his first-team debut at 16.
Messi is Barca's leading scorer of all time, he has been the top scorer in the Champions League for the last four years and racked up a calendar year record 91 goals for club and country in 2012.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Delhi's rubble-strewn Connaught Place mirrors Congress' election struggle
- Short-term fix eyed for another problem with U.S. healthcare website
- Bullion smuggling outstrips narcotics to feed gold habit
- Temperature limit too high to avoid climate change - study
- Miley Cyrus, Arias murder trial top Yahoo's 2013 searches
Races in New Jersey, Mexico and South Korea were dropped from Formula One's official 2014 calendar on Wednesday, with the season remaining at 19 races instead of a record 22. Full Article