Messi signs new contract with Barcelona until 2018
MADRID (Reuters) - World Player of the Year Lionel Messi has signed a new contract with Barcelona which ties him until June 30 2018, the Spanish league leaders said on Thursday.
The 25-year-old penned a deal agreed in December, which includes a two-year extension on his previous agreement and secures his services until he is 31.
The Argentina captain joined Barcelona's youth academy as a 13-year-old and made his first-team debut at 16.
Messi is Barca's leading scorer of all time, he has been the top scorer in the Champions League for the last four years and racked up a calendar year record 91 goals for club and country in 2012.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- China's Xiaomi hopes Mi 4 smartphone can take on Apple
- UPDATE 3-Rebels likely downed Malaysian jet 'by mistake' -U.S. officials
- Rebels likely downed Malaysian jet 'by mistake' - U.S. officials
- Analysis - Argentine default in balance as government refuses to capitulate
- Italy gives Google 18 months to change data use practices
Malaysia has launched an appeal to Commonwealth Games organisers to have rifle shooter Nur Ayuni Farhana Abdul Halim reinstated in the competition after she was withdrawn because her jacket was lost en route to Scotland. Read