Messi signs new contract with Barcelona until 2018
MADRID (Reuters) - World Player of the Year Lionel Messi has signed a new contract with Barcelona which ties him until June 30 2018, the Spanish league leaders said on Thursday.
The 25-year-old penned a deal agreed in December, which includes a two-year extension on his previous agreement and secures his services until he is 31.
The Argentina captain joined Barcelona's youth academy as a 13-year-old and made his first-team debut at 16.
Messi is Barca's leading scorer of all time, he has been the top scorer in the Champions League for the last four years and racked up a calendar year record 91 goals for club and country in 2012.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Odile batters Mexico's Baja resorts, knocks out power to most area
- Google launches $105 Android One; eyes low-price smartphone boom
- Hurricane Odile batters Mexico's Baja resorts, sparks looting
- UPDATE 5-Hurricane Odile batters Mexico's Baja resorts, sparks looting
- India tightens Vietnam defence, oil ties ahead of China's Xi's visit
A Curtis Davies own goal gifted West Ham United a point after Hull City had twice taken the lead in a frenetic 2-2 draw in the Premier League. Full Article