Messi signs new contract with Barcelona until 2018
MADRID (Reuters) - World Player of the Year Lionel Messi has signed a new contract with Barcelona which ties him until June 30 2018, the Spanish league leaders said on Thursday.
The 25-year-old penned a deal agreed in December, which includes a two-year extension on his previous agreement and secures his services until he is 31.
The Argentina captain joined Barcelona's youth academy as a 13-year-old and made his first-team debut at 16.
Messi is Barca's leading scorer of all time, he has been the top scorer in the Champions League for the last four years and racked up a calendar year record 91 goals for club and country in 2012.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Wall St. finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- Wall Street finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- WHO vaccines boss signs up as Ebola trial guinea pig
- Two dead, four wounded after student opens fire at Washington state school
- UPDATE 10-Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones
Rafa Nadal's announcement on Friday that he will miss the ATP World Tour Finals because of appendicitis ended a difficult year for the Spaniard during which he has endured injury, illness and worrying defeats. Full Article