Government will not borrow more this fiscal year: senior official
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The government will not go in for additional borrowing this fiscal year and will be able to keep the fiscal deficit at 5.3 percent of GDP, said Arvind Mayaram, a senior finance ministry official.
Finance Minister P. Chidambaram has staked his reputation on lowering the deficit to 5.3 percent of GDP to improve the investment climate following ratings agency threats to downgrade India's sovereign debt to junk if action was not taken.
(Reporting by Neha Dasgupta; writing by Matthias Williams)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missing Air Algerie plane from Burkina Faso has crashed - Algerian official
- Alabama man sues, claiming penis amputated instead of circumcised
- Taiwan launches inquiry into plane crash that killed 48
- Wipro sees strong sales growth, eyes Europe deals
- Honda's Mobilio car looks to repeat Indonesia success in India
Sri Lankan, Indian central banks agree scope for government debt buys. Full Article