Pope will play no role in running Church after he resigns - Vatican
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict will step aside completely from any role in running the Church after he resigns at the end of this month and will play no part in the election of his successor, the Vatican spokesman said on Tuesday.
"The pope has said in his declaration that he will use his time for prayer and reflection and will not have any responsibility for guidance of the Church or any administrative or government responsibility. This is absolutely clear and this is the sense of the resignation," Father Federico Lombardi told a press briefing at the Vatican.
(Reporting by Philip Pullella)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 8-Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- In weird Brazilian cave insects, male-female sex organs reversed
- Acid attack survivor wins millions on 'Kaun Banega Crorepati'
- Divers enter South Korean ferry in hunt for survivors
KOREA FERRY TRAGEDY
The death toll from a capsized South Korean passenger ferry rose to 25 on Friday as parents of missing schoolchildren blamed the ship's captain for the tragedy after he and shipping company officials made emotional apologies for the loss of life. Full Article