VATICAN CITY Pope Benedict will step aside completely from any role in running the Church after he resigns at the end of this month and will play no part in the election of his successor, the Vatican spokesman said on Tuesday.
"The pope has said in his declaration that he will use his time for prayer and reflection and will not have any responsibility for guidance of the Church or any administrative or government responsibility. This is absolutely clear and this is the sense of the resignation," Father Federico Lombardi told a press briefing at the Vatican.
(Reporting by Philip Pullella)
Trending On Reuters
President Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday Turkey did not want any escalation after it shot down a Russian fighter jet, saying it had acted simply to defend its own security and the "rights of our brothers" in Syria. Full Article
- Russia to bolster Syria base, eyes economic retaliation against Turkey
- Brussels schools, metro reopen under tight security
- 2015 set to be hottest on record, 2016 even hotter due to El NiÃ±o - U.N.
- Tunisia says suicide bomber behind bus attack that killed 13
- Chicago charges officer in black teen's death, releases video of shooting