VATICAN CITY Pope Benedict will step aside completely from any role in running the Church after he resigns at the end of this month and will play no part in the election of his successor, the Vatican spokesman said on Tuesday.
"The pope has said in his declaration that he will use his time for prayer and reflection and will not have any responsibility for guidance of the Church or any administrative or government responsibility. This is absolutely clear and this is the sense of the resignation," Father Federico Lombardi told a press briefing at the Vatican.
(Reporting by Philip Pullella)
Trending On Reuters
Airplane debris that washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion and may belong to the vanished Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 arrived in France on Saturday for investigators to study its origin. Full Article
- Hillary, Bill Clinton report total income of $140 million since 2007
- Bin Laden relatives reportedly killed in private jet crash in Britain
- On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- Malaysia's PM Najib says Qatar, China interested in 1MDB assets
- Minister intervenes to give Chinese artist Ai Weiwei full UK visa