American Airlines, U.S. Airways say plan $11 billion merger
REUTERS - American Airlines and US Airways GroupLCC.N said they plan to merge in a deal that will form the world's biggest air carrier, which will have a combined equity value of $11 billion.
The merger caps a wave of consolidation that has helped put U.S. airlines on more solid financial footing.
The widely expected deal has been more than a year in the making. American, a unit of AMR Corp (AAMRQ.PK), filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in November 2011, and US Airways began its pursuit of a merger in early 2012.
(Reporting by Karen Jacobs in Atlanta and Sagarika Jaisinghani in Bangalore)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Alabama man claims penis was amputated by mistake
- UPDATE 7-French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- UPDATE 2-U.S. says Russia firing artillery over border at Ukraine military
- UPDATE 8-At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- Gunmen said to chase investigators from MH17 crash site
India blocked an agreement on new global customs rules on Thursday, angering fellow members of the World Trade Organization who say Delhi's veto could be costly, economically and politically. Full Article