"Time has come" to refer Syria war crimes to ICC: Del Ponte
GENEVA (Reuters) - U.N. human rights investigator Carla del Ponte said on Monday the "time has come" for the Security Council to refer war crimes in Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.
"We follow the chain of command to establish the responsibility of high political and miltiary suspects for the commission of crimes," she told a news briefing as the team released their latest report. "I think it is urgent that the ICC takes up this case of very high officials."
(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Jon Hemming)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Miss America defends student suspended for asking her to prom
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- UPDATE 3-Soccer-English premier league results and standings
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
- Calls to U.S. poison centers involving e-cigarettes jump - CDC
Gunfire erupted near a makeshift checkpoint manned by pro-Russian separatists near Slaviansk in eastern Ukraine early on Sunday, killing at least two people. Separatists gave a higher casualty figure, saying they had come under attack from Ukrainian nationalist paramilitaries. Full Article
Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China Full Article