"Time has come" to refer Syria war crimes to ICC: Del Ponte
GENEVA (Reuters) - U.N. human rights investigator Carla del Ponte said on Monday the "time has come" for the Security Council to refer war crimes in Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.
"We follow the chain of command to establish the responsibility of high political and miltiary suspects for the commission of crimes," she told a news briefing as the team released their latest report. "I think it is urgent that the ICC takes up this case of very high officials."
(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Jon Hemming)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Netanyahu vows to complete Gaza tunnels destruction
- China should set lower 2015 GDP growth target of 6.5-7 pct - IMF
- U.S. says hopeful of WTO deal with India only hours before deadline
- UPDATE 2-Argentina defaults but investors see deal possible eventually
- Cricket - India four down and facing England defeat
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, facing international alarm over a rising civilian death toll in Gaza, said on Thursday he would not accept any ceasefire that stopped Israel completing the destruction of militants' infiltration tunnels. Full Article
International experts reach plane crash site in east Ukraine - OSCE Full Article