GENEVA U.N. human rights investigator Carla del Ponte said on Monday the "time has come" for the Security Council to refer war crimes in Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.
"We follow the chain of command to establish the responsibility of high political and miltiary suspects for the commission of crimes," she told a news briefing as the team released their latest report. "I think it is urgent that the ICC takes up this case of very high officials."
(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Jon Hemming)
Trending On Reuters
A ferry carrying 189 passengers and crew capsized off the central Philippines in heavy waves on Thursday, killing at least 36 people but the majority of those on board were rescued, the coast guard and police said. Full Article
- More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- Thousands evacuated after freight train derails, catches fire, in Tennessee
- Eight dead in new Saudi-led strikes on Yemen's Sanaa - agency
- North Korean defector lifts lid on world's most secret state
- "Wow, pulled back wrong throttle" - captain of crashed TransAsia plane
India to spend $8 billion to boost irrigation, reduce dependence on monsoon Full Article
"Wow, pulled back wrong throttle" - captain of crashed TransAsia plane Full Article