GENEVA U.N. human rights investigator Carla del Ponte said on Monday the "time has come" for the Security Council to refer war crimes in Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for prosecution.
"We follow the chain of command to establish the responsibility of high political and miltiary suspects for the commission of crimes," she told a news briefing as the team released their latest report. "I think it is urgent that the ICC takes up this case of very high officials."
(Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Editing by Jon Hemming)
Trending On Reuters
Police hunting for the perpetrators of Thailand's deadliest bombing arrested a foreign man on Saturday they said fitted the description of a suspect seen leaving a rucksack at the site of the Bangkok blast nearly two weeks ago. Full Article
- Egypt court sentences 3 journalists to 3 yrs in prison
- Malaysia's Mahathir joins protesters calling for PM to go
- Chad executes 10 Boko Haram members by firing squad - sources
- Iran's Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal - state TV
- Three refugee children found critically ill in Austria