Nigerian pirates demand $1.3 million for kidnapped sailors

YENAGOA, Nigeria Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47am IST

Related Topics

YENAGOA, Nigeria (Reuters) - Pirates who kidnapped six foreign sailors from an oil servicing vessel off the Nigerian coast on Sunday are demanding 200 million naira for their release, police said on Tuesday.

One Russian, three Ukrainian and two Indian sailors were taken when gunmen stormed the Armada Tuah 40 miles (65 km) off the coast of oil-producing Bayelsa state.

The vessel is owned by Nigerian oil servicing company Century Group, Bayelsa Police Spokesman Fidelis Odunna said. The company did not respond to calls for comment.

"One of the kidnappers called to demand the sum of 200 million naira ... efforts are in progress to arrest the kidnappers," Odunna told Reuters, adding that nine Nigerian crew members had been left on board by the gunmen.

Piracy off the Nigerian coast and elsewhere in the Gulf of Guinea is on the rise. There have been at least five attacks in the waters off Africa's most populous nation this month.

None of the crew were hurt during the kidnapping, the Russian foreign ministry said on Wednesday, citing the vessel's operator as the source of its information. (Reporting by Tife Owolabi, additional reporting by Gabriela Baczynska in Moscow, Writing by Joe Brock; Editing by Michael Roddy)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Islamic State

Reuters Showcase

Ukraine Cease-Fire

Ukraine Cease-Fire

Kiev, rebels agree to extra measures to ensure Ukraine cease-fire.  Full Article 

Seeking 'Fame'

Seeking 'Fame'

North Korea says imprisoned American tried to become 'second Snowden' .  Full Article 

Ebola Outbreak

Ebola Outbreak

Ebola lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt.  Full Article 

Struck By Storm

Struck By Storm

Storm leaves 200,000 displaced in Philippines, heads for Taiwan   Full Article 

White House Intruder

White House Intruder

US Secret Service investigates after man jumps White House fence, reaches doors  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage