Dreamliner compensation lifts Qantas H1 profit

SYDNEY Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:27am IST

Two Qantas planes pass each other on the runway at Sydney's Kingsford Smith International Airport May 10, 2007. REUTERS/David Gray/Files

Two Qantas planes pass each other on the runway at Sydney's Kingsford Smith International Airport May 10, 2007.

Credit: Reuters/David Gray/Files

Stocks

   

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia's Qantas Airways Ltd (QAN.AX) reported a 10.4 percent rise in first-half profit on Thursday, as a turnaround of its loss-making international operations gathers pace.

The result included A$125 millionin compensation for delays in delivery of Boeing Co's (BA.N) troubled Dreamliner, part of a package negotiated before the latest series of problems affecting the grounded jet.

Qantas, which has been battling high fuel costs, tough competition and a strong Australian dollar that has dented tourism spending, said the operating environment remained challenging and did not provide full-year profit guidance.

Underlying profit before tax for the six months to December rose to A$223 million from A$202 million a year ago, in line with its guidance and slightly above analysts' average forecast of around A$216 million.

Shares in the carrier rose to a 10-month high in early trade, the biggest gainer in a weaker S&P/ASX 200 index.

Qantas, which reported its first full-year net loss in 17 years last year, has embarked on a broad cost-cutting regime, axing loss-making routes, slashing staff numbers, consolidating maintenance facilities and canceling plane orders.

Chief Executive Alan Joyce also has ambitious plans to tap the lucrative Asian market, spearheaded by an alliance with Dubai's Emirates EMIRA.UL which is due to receive final approval from Australian regulators next month.

Joyce said all parts of the group were profitable in the six months to end-December, except for the international arm, which reduced losses by 65 percent compared with a year earlier.

"We have now passed a turning point as we continue to deliver the transformation of Qantas," Joyce told reporters.

Qantas cancelled orders for 35 Dreamliners in August last year as part of its cost-cutting exercise, and said then it would receive more than A$300 million from Boeing Co (BA.N) due to delays in delivery.

The carrier still has firm orders for 14 Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner aircraft earmarked for its budget arm Jetstar and has options to order 50 of the new generation aircraft.

The Dreamliner fleet has been grounded for the past five weeks due problems with battery failure, compounding pressures caused by earlier delays in 787 deliveries.

Joyce said Qantas had received no formal notice of any delay to the delivery of the first plane, due in August this year.

"We think the aircraft is still going to be a great aircraft," he told reporters.

Qantas shares rose 4.3 percent in early trade to $1.69, their highest level since April last year and well off an all-time low of A$0.96 last June. (Reporting By Jane Wardell; Editing by Richard Pullin)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Coal Block Allocation

Coal Block Allocation

Government urges Supreme Court to not cancel some 'illegal' coal mines  Full Article 

Modi in Japan

Modi in Japan

Japan and India agree to boost strategic ties at summit  Full Article 

Basel III Norms

Basel III Norms

RBI amends Basel III guidelines for banks  Full Article 

HSBC PMI

HSBC PMI

Factory activity expands at slower clip in August.  Full Article 

Current Account

Current Account

Balance of payments surplus for third straight quarter  Full Article 

India Infrastructure

India Infrastructure

RBI rule handicaps India's infrastructure hopes  Full Article 

Book Talk

Book Talk

Reema Abbasi and a glimpse of Pakistan’s Hindu past  Full Article 

China Economy

China Economy

Retreat in China's PMIs heightens calls for policy easing.  Full Article 

Managing Share Sales

Managing Share Sales

Govt seeks bids from banks to manage PFC, REC share sales   Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage