U.S. defense chief says range of options discussed on Afghanistan
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta denied on Friday the United States had told allies it planned to keep 8,000 to 12,000 troops in Afghanistan after 2014, saying a range of troop options for an overall NATO presence in Afghanistan had been discussed.
"That report is not correct," Panetta said, referring to an account of a NATO defence ministers' meeting in Brussels given by German Defence Minister Thomas de Maiziere.
"We did discuss a range of options and what we discussed was a range of options that would be directed to the NATO force overall, which includes both the U.S. force contribution that we would make, plus what other NATO countries would contribute as well," he told a news conference.
(Reporting by Phil Stewart, Adrian Croft; editing by Rex Merrifield)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola calls treatment "frenzy of disorganization"
- Wall Street finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- Google executive sets new stratosphere skydive world record
- Former Cream frontman Jack Bruce dies aged 71
- São Paulo running out of water as rain-making Amazon vanishes
PM Meets The Press
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took tea, but no questions, on Saturday at his first staged meeting with the press since coming to power five months ago, underscoring the delicate relationship he has with the fourth estate. Full Article
Three major nations absent as China launches World Bank rival in Asia Full Article