SEOUL South Korea's new president Park Geun-hye urged North Korea on Monday to abandon its nuclear ambitions immediately and to stop wasting its scarce resources on arms development.
"I urge North Korea to abandon its nuclear ambitions without delay and embark on the path to peace and shared development," Park said as she was inaugurated as the country's first woman leader.
Park took office just 13 days after the North's young leader Kim Jong-un carried out the country's third nuclear weapons test, its most powerful to date.
(Reporting by Ju-min Park and Jack Kim; Editing by David Chance)
Trending On Reuters
A Syrian father on Friday buried his wife and two little boys, drowned as they tried to flee to Europe, while hundreds of migrants fled from a detention camp and escaped a train stranded under police siege in Hungary. Full Article | Video
- Kentucky clerk's office ends ban on same-sex marriage licenses
- UK's Cameron bows to pressure to take more Syrian refugees
- Hillary Clinton says 'sorry' for confusion over email account
- At least 10 killed in armed attacks in Tajikistan, U.S. embassy shut
- Saudi king meets with Obama amid Gulf concerns over Iran deal