Famed classical pianist Van Cliburn dies in Texas at age 78
(Reuters) - American pianist Van Cliburn, who burst onto the world stage at the height of the Cold War, awing Russian audiences with his exquisite Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff concertos and winning fame and fortune back home, died on Wednesday. He was 78.
Cliburn died at his home in Fort Worth, Texas, after suffering from bone cancer, his publicist Mary Lou Falcone told Reuters. (Reporting by Eric Kelsey; Editing by Cynthia Johnston)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India approves $2.6 bln mounted gun purchase - official
- Computer spying malware uncovered with 'stealth' features - Symantec
- 'Hunger Games' tops U.S. box office with $123 million opening
- Celebrity song to aid fight against Africa Ebola crisis tops UK charts
- Obama to Republican critics on immigration: 'Pass a bill'
Twenty-one films including iconic Hindi movies like Kundan Shah’s “Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron” and Satyajit Ray’s “Agantuk” will offer remake rights in a first-of-its-kind initiative during this year’s International Film Festival of India in Goa. Full Article