Factbox - Chelsea interim coach Rafael Benitez
LONDON (Reuters) - Factbox on Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez, who confirmed on Wednesday he was leaving the club at the end of the season. He is unhappy with the actions of the board and the fans.
* Born in Madrid, April 16, 1960.
* After a knee injury forces him into premature retirement ending a modest playing career, Spaniard Benitez begins coaching in the Real Madrid youth section.
* From 1993 to 2001 he coaches Real Madrid B, Valladolid, Osasuna, Extremadura and Tenerife.
* 2001/02 - Leads Valencia to their first league title in 31 years in his first season in charge. The club wins La Liga again in 2004 and beat Olympique Marseille 2-0 in the UEFA Cup final to win their first domestic and European double.
* 2004, June 16 - Liverpool confirm Benitez appointment.
* 2004/05 - His first season ends in triumph with the
unforgettable Champions League final victory over AC Milan in Istanbul when his side overturn a 3-0 halftime deficit to draw 3-3 and win on penalties.
* 2005-06 - Liverpool beat West Ham in the FA Cup final.
* 2006-07 - Liverpool reach the Champions League final again in Athens, but end up losing to AC Milan.
* 2009-10 - A poor season ends with Liverpool seventh in the Premier League and they also fail to negotiate the group stage of the Champions League.
* 2010, June 3 - Benitez leaves Liverpool by mutual consent
and a week later joins European champions Inter Milan.
* Inter stick with the same treble-winning squad but injuries begin to bite and form soon dips with a derby defeat by AC Milan one of their worst performances for years.
* Benitez leaves after six months in charge despite winning the World Club Cup after a row with president Massimo Moratti.
* Appointed as interim boss of the European champions in November after Roberto Di Matteo is sacked following a 3-0 defeat at Juventus which contributes to their Champions League group stage elimination.
Benitez is never popular with fans and results do not especially improve, leading to a trademark "Rafa rant" where he slams the club for making him "interim" boss and lambasts the supporters after an FA Cup fifth round win at Middlesbrough.
The outburst follows media reports of tensions between him and the team.
(Editing by Mark Meadows)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Malaysian plane with 239 aboard crashes - report
- Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed in South China Sea
- UPDATE 3-U.S. FDA probes cognitive impact of new cholesterol drugs
- Ukraine standoff intensifies; Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang'
Recent episodes of vomiting suffered by Barcelona forward Lionel Messi are "not normal" but they do not affect his performance and there is no cause for alarm, coach Gerardo Martino said on Friday. Full Article
"Everything is fine", Pistorius told guard after shooting girlfriend. Full Article