AMMAN The Syrian opposition will demand "qualitative military support" at an international conference in Rome to help in its struggle to oust President Bashar al-Assad, a leading Assad opponent said on Wednesday.
"We ask our friends to give us every backing to achieve gains on the ground and help reach a political solution from a position of strength, not weakness," Riad Seif of the Syrian National Coalition umbrella group told Reuters a day before a Friends of Syria conference in the Italian capital.
"We expect to receive political, humanitarian and qualitative military support," he said.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Michael Roddy)
Trending On Reuters
A death toll of 27 from flooding across Myanmar was expected to rise as rescue workers struggled on Monday to reach some of the hardest-hit and most remote inundated areas, officials said. Full Article | Video
- U.S. to defend Syrian rebels with airpower, including from Assad
- U.N. states agree post-2015 sustainable development agenda
- Barnacles on debris could provide clues to missing MH370 - experts
- Rouhani says nuclear deal a "third way" for Iranian foreign policy
- Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to 'one China'