Delhi High Court lifts stay order on Bharti 3G pact ban
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - A panel of judges at the Delhi High Court set aside on Thursday the court's earlier order that had halted the execution of a government ban on top mobile phone carrier Bharti Airtel's(BRTI.NS) 3G service pacts with rival carriers, a lawyer on the case said.
Maneesha Dhir, a lawyer on the case for the telecommunication ministry, did not give any further detail.
"We believe the 3G ICR (intra-circle roaming) arrangements are in compliance with all applicable laws and licensing conditions," Bharti said in a statement, adding it will consider appropriate legal action after receiving the court's order.
In a long-running dispute, the government had last month asked Bharti to immediately stop 3G services in zones where it does not have its own airwaves and is providing the premium services through pacts with other carriers.
The Delhi High Court had temporarily halted the execution of the government order after Bharti appealed against it. The court had also said Bharti would not immediately need to pay a $65 million penalty imposed by the government.
Vodafone Group Plc's Indian unit and Idea Cellular(IDEA.NS) are also involved in similar disputes with the government.
(Reporting by Suchitra Mohanty; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Japan's NTT DoCoMo to exit India telecoms joint venture - sources
- Apple, Google agree to pay over $300 million to settle conspiracy lawsuit
- Nokia to name Rajeev Suri as next CEO on Tuesday - report
- BREAKINGVIEWS-Review: India's Singh wasn't king, Modi could be
- Met office sees below-average monsoon in 2014
India's biggest carmaker reported a 35.5 percent fall in fourth-quarter profit, missing estimates, as potential car buyers postponed their purchases and waited for a slowing economy to pick up. Full Article