French tests ease fears of coronavirus transmission
LILLE, France (Reuters) - Three people who came into contact with France's only confirmed case of coronavirus have tested negative for the SARS-like disease, with results pending on two others, Health Minister Marisol Touraine said on Saturday.
Lab results were expected later in the day on a friend or family member of the infected man, who remains in serious condition, and another patient who shared his hospital room, the minister and doctors told reporters in Lille, northern France.
A doctor, a nurse and a third health professional who had come into contact with the 65-year-old confirmed to have coronavirus are in the clear.
Health experts are concerned about clusters of new possible cases of coronavirus, or nCoV, which started in the Gulf and spread to France, Britain and Germany. But there is so far no evidence of sustained human-to-human transmission.
The French confirmed case, hospitalized in Lille, was diagnosed after returning from the United Arab Emirates.
The friend or family member treated as a possible coronavirus case has been isolated at home pending results, officials said. The young man's condition is "not worrying", according to Lille hospital doctor Benoit Guery.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has raised the number of cases confirmed worldwide to 33 after Saudi Arabia said that two people who were admitted to hospital there in April had been determined by laboratory analysis to be infected.
(Reporting by Pierre Savary; Writing by Laurence Frost; Editing by Mark Heinrich)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Microsoft names next operating system 'Windows 10'
- Exclusive - India set to run out of critical free drug for HIV/AIDS programme
- Column: Why work with Modi? It’s the economy, stupid
- Obama, Modi work to deepen improving U.S.-India ties
- Hong Kong democracy protesters and officials mark uneasy National Day
India could run out of a critical medicine in its free HIV/AIDS drugs programme in three weeks due to bureaucratic bungling, a senior government official said, leaving more than 150,000 sufferers without life-saving drugs for about a month. Full Article