Car bomb kills three outside hospital in Libya's Benghazi

BENGHAZI Tue May 14, 2013 1:28am IST

Onlookers take photographs following a car bomb explosion outside a hospital in Benghazi May 13, 2013. REUTERS/Esam Al-Fetori

Onlookers take photographs following a car bomb explosion outside a hospital in Benghazi May 13, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Esam Al-Fetori

Related Topics

BENGHAZI (Reuters) - A car bomb killed at least three people outside a hospital in the Libyan city of Benghazi on Monday, doctors said, in a further sign of the growing disorder that threatens to unhinge an already creaking transition to lawful, democratic rule.

Hundreds of angry people gathered at the scene, blaming the armed militias that hold sway on the streets, and calling for them to be driven from Benghazi, cradle of the uprising that ended Muammar Gaddafi's dictatorship in 2011.

"This is the flesh of our sons, this is what the militias have given us," said a witness at the scene. "All we need here are the police and the army."

The blast damaged a dozen or more vehicles and shattered the windows of buildings nearby, sending up a thick cloud of smoke and flinging dust and debris several blocks.

"This attack is not an isolated incident, but part of a series of incidents targeting the Libyan nation," Prime Minister Ali Zeidan told a news conference in Tripoli.

On Sunday night, the police in Benghazi, Libya's second city, were bombed for the third time in four days.

And in a further sign of the power wielded by the militias that formed to fight Gaddafi and have yet to disarm, gunmen besieged the foreign and justice ministries in Tripoli for two weeks to force parliament to pass a sweeping law barring anyone who held senior office under Gaddafi from serving in government.

Libya's parliament cancelled a session on Monday to allow members from Benghazi to return home and attend the funerals of those killed in the latest attack, for which no one claimed responsibility.

One doctor said three deaths were confirmed in Monday's blast, including a child, and that 17 people were wounded. Another said the fact that the victims had been blown to pieces made it hard to be sure how many had died.

(Additional reporting by Ghaith Shennib; Writing by Jessica Donati; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Korean Boat Tragedy

Family members of a missing passenger onboard the South Korean ferry Sewol which capsized on Wednesday, look at the sea as they wait for news from a rescue team, at a port in Jindo April 19, 2014. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

Sunken Korea ferry relatives give DNA swabs to help identify dead

Relatives of some of the more than 200 children missing in a sunken South Korean ferry offered DNA swabs on Saturday to help identify the dead as a rescue turned into a mission to recover the vessel and the bodies of those on board.  Full Article 

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Everest Tragedy

Everest Tragedy

Death toll climbs in worst tragedy on Everest  Full Article 

Missing Plane

Missing Plane

Current underwater search for Malaysia plane could end within a week  Full Article 

Ukraine Crisis

Ukraine Crisis

Putin welcomes new NATO head, says better ties with West possible  Full Article 

Japan Military

Japan Military

Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks angering China  Full Article 

Journalists Released

Journalists Released

Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey's Syrian border   Full Article 

Papal Message

Papal Message

Pope Good Friday service underscores plight of the suffering.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage