REUTERS - Here is a look at the rising human cost of Syria's civil war:
DEATH TOLL IN SYRIA
- The United Nations said on May 15 the death toll in Syria from the two-year-old civil war is at least 80,000, an increase of about 10,000 from February 2013.
- The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based group which monitors the violence through a network of activists inside Syria, said on May 13 at least 94,000 people have been killed but the death toll is likely to be as high as 120,000.
- The Syrian Revolution Martyr Database website, a benchmark tally compiled by opposition activists, shows a toll of 65,834 as of May 2.
REFUGEES FROM SYRIA
- The U.N. refugee agency UNHCR said the number of Syrian refugees including those awaiting registration is 1,515,639. [ID:nL6N0DY1BN]
JORDAN: 473,587 including those awaiting registration
LEBANON: 470,457 registered and awaiting registration
TURKEY: 347,157 registered and awaiting registration
IRAQ: 147,464 registered refugees
EGYPT: 66,922 registered refugees
REFUGEES INSIDE SYRIA
The U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) estimated this month that out of Syria's 23 million population, 4.25 million were in need of humanitarian assistance across all 14 governorates. Of those, about 1.5 million are at imminent risk of food insecurity. OCHA says that 6.8 million people in Syria are classed as people in need.
Trending On Reuters
A website with links to a Turkish far-left group which has been holding a prosecutor captive in Istanbul said on its Twitter feed late on Tuesday that the hostage had been shot and injured, whilst his three captors had been killed. Full Article | Related Story
- U.S. says ready to work past deadline for Iran nuclear deal if needed
- Heavy clashes on Saudi-Yemen border; Hadi government pleads for troops
- Lufthansa says co-pilot told flight school of depression
- Electrical fault corrected, 'Big Bang' collider to restart soon
- Armed prisoner who fled Virginia hospital captured in Washington
China to punish Tencent, Youku Tudou, other video sites for pornography Full Article