Factbox: Rising Syrian death toll, refugee wave
REUTERS - Here is a look at the rising human cost of Syria's civil war:
DEATH TOLL IN SYRIA
- The United Nations said on May 15 the death toll in Syria from the two-year-old civil war is at least 80,000, an increase of about 10,000 from February 2013.
- The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based group which monitors the violence through a network of activists inside Syria, said on May 13 at least 94,000 people have been killed but the death toll is likely to be as high as 120,000.
- The Syrian Revolution Martyr Database website, a benchmark tally compiled by opposition activists, shows a toll of 65,834 as of May 2.
REFUGEES FROM SYRIA
- The U.N. refugee agency UNHCR said the number of Syrian refugees including those awaiting registration is 1,515,639. [ID:nL6N0DY1BN]
JORDAN: 473,587 including those awaiting registration
LEBANON: 470,457 registered and awaiting registration
TURKEY: 347,157 registered and awaiting registration
IRAQ: 147,464 registered refugees
EGYPT: 66,922 registered refugees
REFUGEES INSIDE SYRIA
The U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) estimated this month that out of Syria's 23 million population, 4.25 million were in need of humanitarian assistance across all 14 governorates. Of those, about 1.5 million are at imminent risk of food insecurity. OCHA says that 6.8 million people in Syria are classed as people in need.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- IFC launches $2.5 billion rupee-denominated bonds for infra projects in India
- Lack of options leave India struggling with Dhoni dilemma
- Murder, revenge, lust and rampage take over 'Sin City' sequel
- Islamic State video purports to show beheading of U.S. journalist
Islamic State's beheading of a U.S. journalist and its threat to "destroy the American cross" suggests it has gained enough confidence seizing large areas of Iraq and Syria to take aim at American targets despite the risks. Full Article
Pakistan cleric's supporters attempt to blockade parliament, but MPs escape Full Article
China seeks passengers' ID for buying bus tickets in restive Xinjiang Full Article