Ireland says working on new post-bailout economic plan

DUBLIN Thu May 23, 2013 1:16am IST

Ireland's Finance Minister Michael Noonan presents the budget to waiting media at the Government Buildings in Dublin December 5, 2012. REUTERS/Cathal McNaughton

Ireland's Finance Minister Michael Noonan presents the budget to waiting media at the Government Buildings in Dublin December 5, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Cathal McNaughton

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ireland's finance minister said on Wednesday he planned to issue a long-term economic plan aimed at keeping the country on track after the strictures imposed by a bailout are removed next year.

Rescued by Europe and the IMF in late 2010, Ireland has consistently hit the targets set under its bailout and is set to wean itself off emergency help on schedule at the end of this year after returning to bond markets.

Michael Noonan said he and spending minister Brendan Howlin were working on the new plan, which will run from 2014 to 2020, and that it would include fiscal targets and initiatives the government will pursue help the economy grow.

"We'll exit the program at the back end of this year. When we leave the program we won't have that kind of discipline within our system anymore," Noonan told a parliamentary committee, referring to the quarterly reviews Ireland is subject to under the 85 billion euro ($109.4 billion) rescue package.

"I want to make sure that because of looser arrangements, we don't lose impetus so we are going to bring forward an economic plan which will take us from 2014 to 2020, and be quite specific in the early years where different tasks will have to be done, maybe against a looser deadline that in the bailout."

Separately, Noonan said the country's revenue service had received returns from 60 percent of households liable for a new property tax and were on target to reach the expected compliance level by a filing deadline later this month.

The tax was the most contentious element in the country's sixth successive austerity budget, unveiled last December, and came after the introduction of a flat household charge last year provoked large protests and a non-payment campaign.

(Reporting by Padraic Halpin; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Shares Hit Record

Sensex, Nifty rise to second consecutive record high

Sensex surges 500 points on BOJ easing, L&T gains

The BSE Sensex and Nifty surged to record highs for a second consecutive session on Friday after Bank of Japan's surprise expansion of its massive stimulus programme raised hopes for additional foreign inflows, boosting blue-chips such as Larsen & Toubro.  Full Article 

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Wilful Negligence?

Wilful Negligence?

SEBI piles pressure on Sahara to sell overseas hotels  Full Article 

Indian Economy

Indian Economy

India's fiscal deficit in H1 almost 83 pct of full-year target.  Full Article 

M&M Earnings

M&M Earnings

M&M Q2 net profit down 4 percent, hit by poor monsoon.  Full Article 

Ban on E-Cigs?

Ban on E-Cigs?

Govt considers ban on e-cigarettes, sale of single smokes.  Full Article 

Commodities

Commodities

Silver futures in India hit four-year low on global cues.  Full Article 

BOJ Policy

BOJ Policy

BOJ shocks markets with surprise easing as inflation slows.  Full Article 

Shadow Banking

Shadow Banking

China's shadow banking sector growing rapidly, third largest in world - FSB.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device  Full Coverage