Brooklyn Bridge reopened after check of suspicious vehicle
REUTERS - The Brooklyn Bridge reopened on Monday evening after being closed for almost two hours at the end of a holiday weekend while New York City police investigated an unattended vehicle.
The bridge was shut down at 5:15 p.m. (2115 GMT) as the police bomb squad investigated a Manhattan-bound SUV. An "all clear" was issued and the historic bridge reopened to traffic at 7 p.m. (2300 GMT), said New York Police Detective Kellyann Ort.
WCBS Radio's traffic correspondent reported the vehicle had no license plates. The closing backed up Memorial Day holiday traffic, the station said. (Reporting by Mary Wisniewski; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Peter Cooney)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- British Muslims urge cooperation in Foley murder hunt
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- REFILE-British Muslims urge cooperation in Foley murder hunt
- UPDATE 4-Family Dollar spurns Dollar General bid on antitrust concerns
- Ukraine's Poroshenko talks tough ahead of meetings with Merkel, Putin
Government officials painted an upbeat picture for the economy on Thursday as it struggles to emerge from the longest spell of sub-par growth in decades and promised to tighten up risk management at the country's dominant state banks. Full Article