CAIRO The death toll in violence at the Cairo headquarters of the Republican Guard on Monday rose to 51, the head of Egypt's emergency services said.
The number of wounded was 435, Mohamed Sultan said.
The military said "a terrorist group" had tried to storm the building. The Muslim Brotherhood said the army opened fire while some Islamist demonstrators were holding morning prayer outside the barracks were toppled President Mohamed Mursi was being held.
(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla)
Trending On Reuters
A campaign led by Shi'ite paramilitaries to drive Islamic State militants from Iraq's Sunni heartland was rebranded on Wednesday after criticism that the name chosen for the push was overtly sectarian. Full Article
- U.S. military mistakenly ships live anthrax to labs in nine states
- Exclusive - Russia masses heavy firepower on border with Ukraine: witness
- U.S. hopes Chinese island-building will spur Asian response
- Hundreds evacuated in Texas after storms leave at least 15 dead
- Iran, North Korea forging ballistic, nuclear ties - dissidents
India tipped to overtake China in Modi's first year despite sluggish feel Full Article