CAIRO The death toll in violence at the Cairo headquarters of the Republican Guard on Monday rose to 51, the head of Egypt's emergency services said.
The number of wounded was 435, Mohamed Sultan said.
The military said "a terrorist group" had tried to storm the building. The Muslim Brotherhood said the army opened fire while some Islamist demonstrators were holding morning prayer outside the barracks were toppled President Mohamed Mursi was being held.
(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla)
Trending On Reuters
Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border on Tuesday, saying it had repeatedly violated its air space, one of the most serious publicly acknowledged clashes between a NATO member country and Russia for half a century. Full Article | Video
- At least 11 dead in attack on Tunisia military bus
- Man who lodged suspected Paris attackers goes before judge
- Vatican puts journalists on trial amid human rights furore
- U.N. decries Balkans border curbs on refugees; arrivals in Greece fall sharply
- Putin's 'realpolitik' aims to make Russia indispensable