Death toll in Cairo shooting rises to 51 - emergency services
CAIRO (Reuters) - The death toll in violence at the Cairo headquarters of the Republican Guard on Monday rose to 51, the head of Egypt's emergency services said.
The number of wounded was 435, Mohamed Sultan said.
The military said "a terrorist group" had tried to storm the building. The Muslim Brotherhood said the army opened fire while some Islamist demonstrators were holding morning prayer outside the barracks were toppled President Mohamed Mursi was being held.
(Reporting By Shadia Nasralla)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 8-Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- Acid attack survivor wins millions on 'Kaun Banega Crorepati'
- Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in
- UPDATE 4-Nobel winner Garcia Marquez, master of magical realism, dies at 87
KOREA FERRY TRAGEDY
The death toll from a capsized South Korean passenger ferry rose to 25 on Friday as parents of missing schoolchildren blamed the ship's captain for the tragedy after he and shipping company officials made emotional apologies for the loss of life. Full Article