Africa safari the wrong call for David Warner - Allan Border

MELBOURNE Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52am IST

Australia's David Warner looks on from the dressing room balcony before the first Ashes cricket test match against England at Trent Bridge cricket ground in Nottingham, England July 10, 2013. REUTERS/Philip Brown

Australia's David Warner looks on from the dressing room balcony before the first Ashes cricket test match against England at Trent Bridge cricket ground in Nottingham, England July 10, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Philip Brown

Related Topics

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - David Warner's exile to Africa after punching England's Joe Root "defies belief", and the fiery batsman should be readying himself for an Ashes recall in the Australian team's practice nets, according to former test captain Allan Border.

Warner was stood down in the wake of the boozy bar-room incident last month and subsequently omitted for the first test in Nottingham, which Australia lost by 14 runs.

He was to board a plane later on Tuesday to join the Australia A team for a tour of Zimbabwe and South Africa where he would have "adequate preparation" in match conditions, selector John Inverarity said last week.

"It defies belief David Warner is about to leave the Ashes tour for an Australia A tour of Africa," former Australia skipper Border said in his column in Sydney's Daily Telegraph on Tuesday.

"I get the thinking, send him to South Africa and Zimbabwe to find form and bring him back later in the series, but I strongly disagree with it.

"Unless Jimmy Anderson bobs up in the Zimbabwe side, Warner scoring runs won't count for anything," Border added, referring to the England seamer, who took 10 wickets in a match-winning performance at Trent Bridge.

"He would be far better served facing (Australia paceman) James Pattinson in the nets. The standard of bowling he will face in Africa and the conditions will be chalk and cheese to the challenges that await him in England."

Australia's top order struggled in both innings in the first test, sparking demands from local media to bring the hard-hitting 26-year-old back for the second match, which starts at Lord's on Thursday.

Warner told reporters on Monday that he knew he was on thin ice, but had not been placed under any off-field restrictions by new coach Darren Lehmann.

"(Lehmann) just said to go out there and score runs and be myself," Warner was quoted by Fairfax Media as saying.

"Just get that X-factor back that I can have for this team so hopefully I can score some runs.

"Definitely still enjoy myself off the field. There's no bans, there's no curfews, no nothing. The mistakes, I've learned, I've become more mature off the field as well."

(Reporting by Ian Ransom; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)

FILED UNDER:

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Reforms Push

Reforms Push

Modi may order insurance, coal reforms if vote delayed - officials.  Full Article 

Economic Pulse

Economic Pulse

Crank up public spending to revive growth - chief economic adviser.  Full Article 

Sony Cyberattack

Sony Cyberattack

Obama vows U.S. response to North Korea over Sony cyberattack.  Full Article 

Cook Out

Cook Out

Cook out, Morgan in as England ODI captain - reports.  Full Article 

PM's Moves

PM's Moves

Modi moves in to speed up $300 billion stuck projects.  Full Article 

Obama's Message

Obama's Message

Obama's year-end message to Americans: I'm not a lame duck.  Full Article 

India This Week

India This Week

Some of our best photos from this week.   Pictures 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device   Full Coverage