RBI intervenes in FX mkts to smooth volatility: Subbarao
MUMBAI (Reuters) - The RBI lets the exchange rate be market determined but intervenes to smooth volatility and prevent disruptions to macro-economic stability, Reserve Bank of India Governor Duvvuri Subbarao said in a speech in London on Wednesday.
"We let our exchange rate be largely market determined, but intervene in the market to smooth excess volatility and/or to prevent disruptions to macroeconomic stability," Subbarao said, according to a copy of the speech posted on the RBI web site on Thursday.
Subbarao also said credible fiscal consolidation is a pre-condition for stabilising inflation and in securing non-inflationary growth.
For full speech double click: link.reuters.com/fad79t
(Reporting by Swati Bhat; Editing by Rafael Nam)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India approves $2.6 bln mounted gun purchase - official
- Computer spying malware uncovered with 'stealth' features - Symantec
- Suicide bomber kills 45 at volleyball match in Afghanistan
- Pope declares sainthood of two Indians, four Italians
- Iran, powers set to miss nuclear talks deadline, seek extension
India approved on Saturday the purchase of 814 mounted gun systems for the army at a cost of 157.5 billion rupees ($2.55 billion), a defence ministry spokesman said. Full Article