RBI intervenes in FX mkts to smooth volatility: Subbarao
MUMBAI (Reuters) - The RBI lets the exchange rate be market determined but intervenes to smooth volatility and prevent disruptions to macro-economic stability, Reserve Bank of India Governor Duvvuri Subbarao said in a speech in London on Wednesday.
"We let our exchange rate be largely market determined, but intervene in the market to smooth excess volatility and/or to prevent disruptions to macroeconomic stability," Subbarao said, according to a copy of the speech posted on the RBI web site on Thursday.
Subbarao also said credible fiscal consolidation is a pre-condition for stabilising inflation and in securing non-inflationary growth.
For full speech double click: link.reuters.com/fad79t
(Reporting by Swati Bhat; Editing by Rafael Nam)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 6-Obama warns on Crimea, orders sanctions over Russian moves in Ukraine
- Exclusive - Pimco's Gross declares El-Erian is 'trying to undermine me'
- RPT-With Crimean appeal, Putin goes head-to-head with West over Ukraine
- CEO in apparent suicide was bitcoin fan, had other issues, too
- Privacy groups ask regulators to halt Facebook's $19 billion WhatsApp deal
The Nifty rose to a record high, and the benchmark BSE Sensex hit its record for a second consecutive session, as foreign investors bet big in a country that just months ago was gripped by market turmoil. Full Article