RBI intervenes in FX mkts to smooth volatility: Subbarao
MUMBAI (Reuters) - The RBI lets the exchange rate be market determined but intervenes to smooth volatility and prevent disruptions to macro-economic stability, Reserve Bank of India Governor Duvvuri Subbarao said in a speech in London on Wednesday.
"We let our exchange rate be largely market determined, but intervene in the market to smooth excess volatility and/or to prevent disruptions to macroeconomic stability," Subbarao said, according to a copy of the speech posted on the RBI web site on Thursday.
Subbarao also said credible fiscal consolidation is a pre-condition for stabilising inflation and in securing non-inflationary growth.
For full speech double click: link.reuters.com/fad79t
(Reporting by Swati Bhat; Editing by Rafael Nam)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-Teen who stowed away on flight to Hawaii remains hospitalized
- REFILE-Divers feel with their hands for corpses in cold depths of South Korean ferry
- Comcast nears deal with Charter on $18-$20 bln in divestitures -source
- Rupee weakens past 61/dollar to one-month low
- Malaysia flight's co-pilot tried to make cellphone call - report