Google's Motorola to hold Moto X phone event on August 1
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Google Inc's (GOOG.O) Motorola division appears set to unveil its much anticipated Moto X phone on August 1 at an event in New York City.
Email invitations sent to the media on Friday displayed the Moto X name in bold letters. The invitation depicted several youths holding the Moto X, the first smartphone Motorola has developed since its 2012 acquisition by Google.
Motorola, which Google bought for $12.5 billion, has steadily ceded market share to Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Samsung Electronics Co (005930.KS), with most of its latest phones garnering relatively lukewarm receptions.
The Motorola business has been a drag on Google's profit margins, with Motorola's second-quarter losses totaling $342 million.
A Web page to respond to the invitation said, "Come experience the new Motorola. No Stage. No crowds." The page asks guests to select one of several "sessions" to attend at different times at an address in mid-town Manhattan.
In May, Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside said at the AllThingsD technology conference that the new Moto X phones would be built in the United States.
(Reporting by Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by Leslie Gevirtz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India passes halfway mark in election with BJP gaining strength
- UPDATE 2-Chipotle raising prices as steak, avocados, cheese costs rise
- Scientists find Earth-sized world in orbit friendly to life
- UPDATE 8-Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 'X-Men' director Bryan Singer accused of drugging, raping teen
Twitter Inc took a significant step Thursday towards broaden its advertising business by offering mobile ads urging people to install apps on its social network as well as through MoPub, the mobile-advertising network it acquired last year. Full Article