Fatal Bihar school meal contained concentrated pesticide

PATNA Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:53pm IST

1 of 2. A relative wipes the face of a boy who consumed contaminated meals given to children at a school on Tuesday, inside a hospital in Patna July 18, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Adnan Abidi

Related Topics

PATNA (Reuters) - The free school lunch that killed 23 children last week in Bihar was contaminated with concentrated pesticide which is not widely available, the district magistrate overseeing the police investigation told Reuters on Sunday.

The children fell ill within minutes of eating a meal of rice and potato curry in their one-room school on Tuesday, vomiting and convulsing with stomach cramps.

The deaths sparked protests in Bihar. The lunch was part of India's Mid-Day Meal Scheme that covers 120 million children and aims to tackle malnutrition and encourage school attendance. It had already drawn widespread complaints over food safety.

An initial forensic investigation found that the meal had been prepared with cooking oil that contained monocrotophos, an organophosphorus compound that is used as an agricultural pesticide, Ravindra Kumar, a senior police official, told reporters on Saturday.

The pesticide found in the oil was of a concentration more than five times that used in a commercial version, according to a forensic report.

"It is highly poisonous, it's highly toxic, and, therefore, it has to be diluted when used as commercial pesticides," said district magistrate Abhijit Sinha.

"Typically it has to be diluted five times. So one litre of monocrotophos is mixed with five litres of water."

Sinha said the concentrated form was not widely available and the pesticide was normally sold commercially in the diluted state.

Police said on Friday they suspected the cooking oil used in the meal was kept in a container previously used to store the pesticide. They are still looking for the headmistress of the school, who fled after the deaths.

The World Health Organisation describes monocrotophos as highly hazardous and that handling and application of it should be entrusted only to competently supervised and well-trained applicators.

The Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations says all waste and contaminated material associated with the chemical should be considered hazardous waste and destroyed in a special high temperature chemical incinerator facility.

(Reporting by Annie Banerji; Additional reporting by Anurag Kotoky and Mayank Bhardwaj in New Delhi; Writing by Devidutta Tripathy and Jo Winterbottom; Editing by Raissa Kasolowsky and Robert Birsel)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Economy

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Pharma Sector

Pharma Sector

In race for bigger margins, drug makers willing to lose the India "advantage".  Full Article 

Jan Dhan Yojna

Jan Dhan Yojna

Modi: Banking for all to end "financial untouchability".  Full Article 

Power Outage

Power Outage

India may face blackouts as coal shortage cuts power output  Full Article 

Moody's on Inflation

Moody's on Inflation

Persistent inflation hurting India's sovereign ratings - Moody's  Full Article 

Tracking Monsoon

Tracking Monsoon

Monsoon forecast to be better for crops next week  Full Article 

Carmichael Project

Carmichael Project

Adani buys Australia coal mine royalty rights from Linc for $145 million  Full Article 

GDP Preview

GDP Preview

Economy likely grew faster in June quarter: Reuters poll.  Full Article 

India-Japan Meet

India-Japan Meet

Modi eyes breakthrough nuclear pact on Japan trip   Full Article 

Rare Earth Output

Rare Earth Output

India to chip in with 5 pct of global rare earth output  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage