Angela Merkel centre-right coalition extends lead in German poll
BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel's centre-right coalition has extended its lead over the opposition in the latest poll before a September 22 election, showing a row over German complicity in intrusive snooping by U.S. intelligence is having little impact.
In the Forsa poll, Merkel's conservatives and her junior coalition partner, the Free Democrats (FDP), held steady at 41 percent and 5 percent respectively while the two main opposition parties saw their support slip.
The Social Democrats (SPD) dipped 1 point to 22 percent and the Greens were down 2 points at 12 percent. The far-left Linke gained 1 point, giving the three parties a combined 43 percent, some 3 points short of the centre-right bloc's 46 percent.
CDU/CSU - Chancellor Angela Merkel's centre-right Christian Democratic Union and its Bavarian sister party, the Christian Social Union
SPD - Social Democrats, the main centre-left party
Greens - centre-left, environmental party
FDP - Free Democrats, a business-friendly, pro-small government party that shares power with the conservatives
Left - far-left, pacifist party
AfD - Alternative for Germany, a new anti-euro party
Pirates - a new Internet freedom party
- Parties require 5 percent of the vote or three constituency seats to win representation in parliament.
- A parliamentary majority can be secured with the support of less than 50 percent if the parties in question have more support than the other leading parties combined.
Pollsters: Allensbach, Emnid, Forsa, Forschungsgruppe Wahlen (FGW), Gesellschaft fuer Markt- und Sozialforschung GMS, Infratest Dimap
(Compiled by Berlin Bureau; editing by Mark Heinrich)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- REFILE-Divers feel with their hands for corpses in cold depths of South Korean ferry
- UPDATE 5-Missouri executes convicted killer in 1993 cattle-stealing plot
- Rupee weakens past 61/dollar to one-month low
- China shares down, Aussie drops after inflation data
- Teen who stowed away on Hawaii flight resting in hospital
Australia vows to keep searching to solve missing Malayasian plane mystery. Full Article
Ukraine president calls for new anti-rebel offensive as crisis deal falters. Full Article