Factbox - A look inside Apple's new iPhone 5S and 5C
REUTERS - Apple Inc's(AAPL.O) newest smartphone models hit stores on Friday in many countries across the world, including Australia and China. For the first time, Apple is selling a second smartphone dubbed the "5C" featuring a plastic back and bright colors. The pricier "5S" now comes in three new colors - gray, silver and gold.
Technology firm iFixit disassembled a gold-colored iPhone 5S and examined its parts and then took apart a 5C model.
Following are some of the key parts for the 5S model:
* Chips from Avago Technologies Ltd(AVGO.O) and Skyworks Solutions Inc(SWKS.O) are featured in the iPhone5S.
* Companies supplying parts for the new phone also include South Korean memory chipmaker SK Hynix Inc and radio-frequency chipmaker TriQuint Semiconductor Inc(TQNT.O).
* Broadcom Corp's(BRCM.O) BCM5976 chip is used for the touchscreen controller.
* Murata Manufacturing Co's 339S0205 (based on the Broadcom BCM4334) Wi-Fi module.
* Includes chips from Qualcomm Inc(QCOM.O) (PM8018 RF power management IC) and Texas Instruments Inc(TXN.O).
* There appeared to be no discrete M7 motion co-processor chip, a new component that Apple said was part of the iPhone 5S when it unveiled the device last week. iFixit says the M7 might be "most likely a combination of motion-oriented components, and not an actual dedicated chip."
Following are some key points of the 5C model:
* The hardware design on the 5C appears more similar to the 5S than to the iPhone 5
* The 5C uses a Toshiba Corp 16 gigabyte flash memory chip
* Murata 339S0209 (based on the Broadcom BCM4334) Wi-Fi module.
* Qualcomm LTE radio chips.
* Elpida memory.
* Broadcom touchscreen controller.
* Chips from Skyworks, Avago and Triquint, similar to the 5S.
Information is from iFixit, a website offering parts and self-repair guides for Apple iPods and Macintosh computers. The company, which has conducted similar "tear downs" on other Apple products, posted step-by-step photos of the process on its website at: www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5s+Teardown/17383/1?singlePage
(Reporting By Richard Pullin and Poornima Gupta; Editing by Ian Geoghegan and Andre Grenon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge
- Micromax aims to go global, high-end with smartphones
- BSE Sensex marks biggest weekly fall in nearly a month
- UPDATE 1-Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake -officials
Micromax, which has become India's No. 2 smartphone brand just five years after selling its first handset - a $30 made-in-China model, is looking to go upmarket and overseas. Full Article
China official says has "substantial" price-fixing evidence against Qualcomm - media. Full Article