ROME An elephant broke out of a Rome circus on Friday, causing panic and drawing crowds of curious residents as she wandered around a northern suburb before being cornered by police, Italian press reported.
The elephant, named Mia, had almost reached a motorway exit road after two hours on the run by the time police caught up with her.
The circus owners recaptured her as she stopped at a roundabout during a moment of indecision, the news agency Ansa said.
(Reporting by Naomi O'Leary; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
Trending On Reuters
Palestinian men armed with knives and a gun killed at least three people and wounded several others in a string of attacks in Jerusalem and near Tel Aviv on Tuesday, police said, on a "Day of Rage" declared by Palestinian groups. Full Article | Related Story
- Flight MH17 shot down by Russian-built Buk missile, Dutch report says
- Iranian parliament passes bill approving nuclear deal
- Taliban pull back from Kunduz as fighting flares on southern highway
- Syrian rebels fortify frontline with anti-tank missiles
- Japan, China agree to promote dialogue despite UNESCO dispute