ROME An elephant broke out of a Rome circus on Friday, causing panic and drawing crowds of curious residents as she wandered around a northern suburb before being cornered by police, Italian press reported.
The elephant, named Mia, had almost reached a motorway exit road after two hours on the run by the time police caught up with her.
The circus owners recaptured her as she stopped at a roundabout during a moment of indecision, the news agency Ansa said.
(Reporting by Naomi O'Leary; Editing by Kevin Liffey)
Trending On Reuters
Airplane debris that washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion and may belong to the vanished Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 arrived in France on Saturday for investigators to study its origin. Full Article
- Hillary, Bill Clinton report total income of $140 million since 2007
- Bin Laden relatives reportedly killed in private jet crash in Britain
- On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- Malaysia's PM Najib says Qatar, China interested in 1MDB assets
- Minister intervenes to give Chinese artist Ai Weiwei full UK visa