Xbox One sales top 3 million, no new Sony data
SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Monday that sales of its new Xbox One game console topped three million at the end of last year after launching in November.
The third generation of the Xbox is competing head-to-head with Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 4, also launched in November. Sony said it had sold 2.1 million PS4s by the first week of December.
It will not be clear which company is leading the console battle until Sony updates that figure.
The sales of the new Xbox are in line with expectations, said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, who also estimates PlayStation sales around the 3 million mark.
Hot sales of both consoles have been a boon for Advance Micro Devices Inc (AMD.N), which developed or supplied chips for both devices. (Reporting by Bill Rigby and Malathi Nayak. Editing by Andre Grenon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 2-Concordia finally heads for scrapyard after massive salvage operation
- Two Ukrainian fighter jets shot down over rebel-held territory
- UPDATE 3-SEC's long path to money market fund reform ends in compromise
- UPDATE 3-Tanker charge tarnishes Boeing's 2nd-quarter profit
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
Facebook Inc increased its revenue 61 percent in the second quarter, beating Wall Street's target as the Internet company benefited from strong demand for its mobile advertising business. Full Article