Xbox One sales top 3 million, no new Sony data
SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Monday that sales of its new Xbox One game console topped three million at the end of last year after launching in November.
The third generation of the Xbox is competing head-to-head with Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 4, also launched in November. Sony said it had sold 2.1 million PS4s by the first week of December.
It will not be clear which company is leading the console battle until Sony updates that figure.
The sales of the new Xbox are in line with expectations, said Michael Pachter, an analyst at Wedbush Securities, who also estimates PlayStation sales around the 3 million mark.
Hot sales of both consoles have been a boon for Advance Micro Devices Inc (AMD.N), which developed or supplied chips for both devices. (Reporting by Bill Rigby and Malathi Nayak. Editing by Andre Grenon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast - source
- Rupee retreats from 7-month high as shares fall
- India halts plan to join global bond indexes, defers Euroclear - sources
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions
- Wild theories fill void left by missing Malaysian plane
Former security contractor Edward Snowden, addressing a sympathetic crowd at a tech-heavy event in Austin, Texas, on Monday from a secret location in Russia, said proposed reforms at the National Security Agency show that he was vindicated in leaking classified material. Full Article