Amazon developing pay-TV streaming service - report
REUTERS - Amazon (AMZN.O) is in the early stages of developing a pay-TV streaming service with live programming, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.
Amazon approached at least three media companies, according to people familiar with the matter the Journal reported.
Representatives for Amazon did not immediately return a request seeking comment.
Amazon now offers on-demand TV shows and movies free to customers who are members of Amazon's premium shipping service Prime.
The world's largest online retailer is joining the ranks of several other companies including Sony (6758.T) that are trying to own the living room with TV programming piped through the Internet. Intel (INTC.O) tried as well, though it scrapped its ambitions and sold its project to Verizon (VZ.N) earlier on Tuesday for an undisclosed sum. <ID: nL2N0KV0FS>
(Reporting by Jennifer Saba in New York)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Govt considers ban on e-cigarettes, sale of single smokes
- India's fiscal deficit in H1 almost 83 pct of full-year target
- Islamic State fighters kill 220 Iraqis from tribe that opposed them
- Sensex surges 500 points on BOJ easing, L&T gains
- Europe won't recognise vote in eastern Ukraine, Merkel tells Putin
Samsung Electronics unveiled two new mid-tier handsets with a premium design as it prepared to deliver a riposte to its low-priced Chinese rivals and reclaim its title as the top brand in the world's biggest smartphone market. Full Article