Amazon developing pay-TV streaming service - report
REUTERS - Amazon (AMZN.O) is in the early stages of developing a pay-TV streaming service with live programming, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.
Amazon approached at least three media companies, according to people familiar with the matter the Journal reported.
Representatives for Amazon did not immediately return a request seeking comment.
Amazon now offers on-demand TV shows and movies free to customers who are members of Amazon's premium shipping service Prime.
The world's largest online retailer is joining the ranks of several other companies including Sony (6758.T) that are trying to own the living room with TV programming piped through the Internet. Intel (INTC.O) tried as well, though it scrapped its ambitions and sold its project to Verizon (VZ.N) earlier on Tuesday for an undisclosed sum. <ID: nL2N0KV0FS>
(Reporting by Jennifer Saba in New York)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source
- UPDATE 4-William Clay Ford Sr., grandson of pioneer automaker, dies at 88
- UPDATE 3-Libyan rebels warn of 'war' if navy attacks oil tanker
- Golf-Reed in Cadillac driver's seat as Woods fades
- WRAPUP 9-Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air - source
A wildcat strike at an IBM factory in southern China illustrates how tectonic shifts under way in the country's labor market are emboldening workers to take matters into their own hands, raising risks for multinationals. Full Article