No investigation of Woody Allen pending, Connecticut says

WASHINGTON Mon Feb 3, 2014 10:26pm IST

Director of the movie and cast member Woody Allen speaks on stage at the premiere of ''To Rome with Love'' during the opening night of the Los Angeles Film Festival at the Regal Cinemas in Los Angeles, California June 14, 2012. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Director of the movie and cast member Woody Allen speaks on stage at the premiere of ''To Rome with Love'' during the opening night of the Los Angeles Film Festival at the Regal Cinemas in Los Angeles, California June 14, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Mario Anzuoni

Related Topics

Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, daughter of Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi, adjusts her flower garlands as she campaigns for her mother during an election meeting at Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh April 22, 2014. REUTERS/Pawan Kumar

Election 2014

More than 814 million people — a number larger than the population of Europe — are eligible to vote in the world’s biggest democratic exercise.  Full Coverage 

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - State prosecutors in Connecticut do not have an open investigation of Woody Allen, a spokesman said on Monday, after the filmmaker's adult adopted daughter renewed allegations that he sexually abused her at age 7.

A prosecutor decided after an investigation in 1993 not to charge Allen, who has denied the allegations. Legal experts have said the statute of limitations on the case probably has run out.

"We have no pending investigation. If we were to receive a complaint, we would review it, as we do with any complaint, and take the appropriate action," Mark Dupuis, a spokesman for Connecticut's Division of Criminal Justice, told Reuters.

A complaint would need to precede any criminal charges, Dupuis added.

Dylan Farrow, now 28, detailed the alleged abuse by Allen, now 78, in a letter published by the New York Times. She said the incident occurred at the Connecticut home of her mother, the actress and former Allen girlfriend Mia Farrow.

On Sunday, a spokeswoman for Allen called Dylan Farrow's letter untrue and disgraceful.

Under Connecticut law, a prosecutor who receives an allegation of sexual abuse of a minor generally has five years to bring charges. Farrow said she was abused in 1992.

(Reporting by David Ingram; Editing by Howard Goller and David Gregorio)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Guns and Gowns

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Williams 'Boulevard'

Williams 'Boulevard'

Robin Williams confronts deep-rooted secret in drama 'Boulevard'  Full Article 

Photo

Mixed Blessing

For 'Daily Show' alum Oliver, 'Last Week' is 'fresh turf to ruin'.  Full Article 

Lorde Unwell

Lorde Unwell

Illness spoils "Royals" singer Lorde's Australian tour.  Full Article 

Oscars 2015

Oscars 2015

Zadan, Meron invited back to produce 2015 Oscars show - Academy.  Full Article 

New Season

New Season

HBO backs tech comedy 'Silicon Valley' for second season.  Full Article 

Lohan Miscarriage

Lohan Miscarriage

Lindsay Lohan reveals miscarriage on finale of OWN series.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage