Nadal recovering well from back complaint, tests show
MADRID (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal is recovering well from the back problem that wrecked his Australian Open final last month and plans to start training again on Thursday in his native Mallorca, his team said on Tuesday.
World number one Nadal lost to Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka in the Melbourne final, preventing the Spaniard drawing level on 14 grand slam singles titles with American Pete Sampras.
Nadal had more tests in Barcelona on Monday and his team said in a statement they were "satisfactory and showed favourable progress".
"The player began gym work today and a decision on when he is able to start competing again will depend on his adaptation on the court in coming days," they added.
Nadal is due to play in a clay event in Buenos Aires starting on February 10, followed by a tournament in Rio de Janeiro, also on clay, and the hardcourt Masters events at Indian Wells and Miami.
(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Stephen Wood)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
Trending On Reuters
Australia cricketer Phillip Hughes remains in an induced coma after spending a second night in a Sydney, with the local ambulance service now under scrutiny for their response to the accident. Story | Fast bowlers defend Abbott