Sony CEO says no plan to immediately sell off TV unit
TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp (6758.T) Chief Executive Officer Kazuo Hirai said on Thursday that the Japanese consumer electronics company has no plan to immediately sell off its loss-making TV business after selling its personal computer division to an investment fund.
Earlier, Sony, under pressure to shore up profitability in its electronics business, said it would split off the TV division into a separate company by July 2014.
Hirai told a news conference that he has no plan to sell the TV business right now but added that by eventually spinning it off they are headed in the right direction.
"There are many possibilities, not just for our TV business," he said.
(Reporting by Sophie Knight; Writing by Dominic Lau; Editing by Shinichi Saoshiro)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 1-China's Xiaomi announces latest flagship Mi 4 smartphone
- Bodies, black boxes handed over from Ukraine crash site
- India to probe corruption in healthcare after TV sting
- Italy gives Google 18 months to change data use practices
- China food scandal spreads, drags in Starbucks, Burger King and McNuggets in Japan
Apple Inc has asked suppliers to manufacture between 70 million and 80 million of its two forthcoming large-screen iPhones by the end of the year, its largest initial production run of iPhones, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources. Full Article