Yanukovich tried to flee Ukraine - parliamentary speaker
KIEV (Reuters) - Ukraine's parliamentary speaker was quoted on Saturday as saying President Viktor Yanukovich had tried to board a plane to Russia but had been prevented from doing so and was now in the Donetsk region.
"He tried to get on a plane to Russia but border officials stopped him," Interfax news agency quoted Oleksander Turchynov, an opponent of Yanukovich, as saying. The report could not immediately be confirmed.
(Reporting By Timothy Heritage, Editing by Matt Robinson)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- UPDATE 2-UK launches hunt for man with British accent on beheading video
- Islamic State opens new anti-U.S. front with beheading video
- UPDATE 1-Sears Canada reports loss, revenue slides 12 pct
- Govt begins revamp of Food Corporation of India to cut waste, tame prices
Islamic State's beheading of a U.S. journalist and its threat to "destroy the American cross" suggests it has gained enough confidence seizing large areas of Iraq and Syria to take aim at American targets despite the risks. Full Article