Mayweather to face Maidana on May 3
REUTERS - Five-division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. will face Marcos Maidana of Argentina in a welterweight title fight on May 3, the American announced on Monday.
Mayweather, who turns 37 on Monday, revealed the news via Twitter, ending months of speculation about his next opponent.
Mayweather defeated Saul Canelo Alvarez in his most recent bout in September and subsequently announced the May 3 fight without identifying his next opponent. The site for the matchup has yet to be announced.
Mayweather has a perfect 45-0 record while Maidana is coming off an impressive win against Adrien Broner to be 35-3.
(Writing by Jahmal Corner in Los Angeles; editing by Amlan Chakraborty)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- California lawmakers end session with bills on plastic bags, gun control
- India nears $2.5 billion deal for Boeing military helicopters
- CBI charges Dayanidhi Maran, Malaysian tycoon in telecoms scandal
- Saudi king warns of terrorism threat to U.S., Europe
Shock waves hit the U.S. Open on Friday as veteran Mirjana Lucic-Baroni spearheaded a series of stunning third-round surprises that claimed two of the top women's seeds and seven-times grand slam winner Venus Williams. Full Article