West Ham's Carroll ready to fight for place after ban

LONDON Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:43pm IST

West Ham United's Andy Carroll reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in London, January 29, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville

West Ham United's Andy Carroll reacts during their English Premier League soccer match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in London, January 29, 2014.

Credit: Reuters/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Andy Carroll is ready to fight for his place in West Ham United's starting team following a three-match suspension and the striker still has ambitions of being part of England's World Cup squad.

The 25-year-old, who has made six appearances this season after being plagued with a foot injury, was sent off in West Ham's 2-0 win over Swansea City on February 1.

"The sending-off has happened and I was annoyed at the time with missing games, which was not what I wanted after the season that I've had, but I'm over it now," Carroll, who will be available for West Ham's trip to Everton on Saturday, told the club's website (www.whufc.com).

"I just need to focus on playing the games now and getting back in the team."

After winning three successive league games during Carroll's absence, West Ham have moved up to 10th in the Premier League and the former Liverpool striker faces stiff competition for a place in Sam Allardyce's rejuvenated side.

"Coley (Carlton Cole) is on fire and has scored six goals, while Kev (Kevin Nolan) has got seven, so I've just got to work hard and hope the Gaffer sees fit to pick me," said Carroll, who spent eight days warm-weather training in Dubai during his suspension.

"It's unbelievable, where we have come from to where we are now."

With 11 Premier League matches remaining this season Carroll, who last featured for England in October 2012, is hoping to add to his nine international caps at the World Cup in Brazil.

"I have definitely not given up on the England squad and I never will do," he added.

(Reporting by Michael Hann, editing by Ed Osmond)

Australian Open

Novak Djokovic (L) of Serbia watches as Stan Wawrinka of Switzerland walks off the court after their men's singles semi-final match at the Australian Open 2015 tennis tournament in Melbourne January 30, 2015. REUTERS/Issei Kato

Djokovic beats Wawrinka, to face Murray

Novak Djokovic once again stood tall at the Australian Open as he reached his fourth final in the past five years with another five-set victory over Stan Wawrinka, the man who dumped him out of Melbourne Park last year.  Full Article 

Reuters Showcase

GDP Growth

GDP Growth

India's economic growth revised up by almost 50 pct.  Full Article 

Stake Sale

Stake Sale

Strong demand for Coal India boosts privatisation drive.  Full Article 

SpiceJet Bailout

SpiceJet Bailout

SpiceJet board approves up to $243 mln share sale plan  Full Article 

India Art Fair

India Art Fair

Art fair turns India's capital into art hub.  Full Article 

Child Trafficking

Child Trafficking

Police find hundreds of child slaves making bangles - media   Full Article 

Movie Review

Movie Review

"Rahasya" is an ode to Agatha Christie.  Full Article 

England Beat India

England Beat India

England reach final after Taylor-made victory.  Full Article 

Change Of Heart

Change Of Heart

Justin Bieber says dropping 'arrogant' and 'conceited' attitude  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device  Full Coverage