MOSCOW Crimea's parliament applied to become part of Russia on Monday, a day after a referendum in the southern Ukrainian region showed overwhelming support for joining the Russian Federation.
The parliament "made a proposal to the Russian Federation to admit the Republic of Crimea as a new subject with the status of a republic," according to a statement on its website.
A Crimean parliamentary delegation was expected to arrive in Moscow on Monday to discuss the procedures required for the Black Sea peninsula to become part of the Russian Federation.
(Reporting by Lidia Kelly and Dmitry Antonov)
Trending On Reuters
Hundreds of passengers were stranded for hours on five Eurostar high-speed trains after reports that migrants were blocking the tracks leading to the tunnel under the English Channel and were attempting to climb aboard. Full Article
- At least five dead from Monday's chemical plant blast in China - Xinhua
- Malaysia police to question Mahathir on anti-PM comments at rally
- Pakistan says "almost all" Uighur militants eliminated
- North Korea tells South not to crow about deal that ended standoff
- Biden is top choice of Democrats if Clinton falters - Reuters/Ipsos poll