NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The government will consider easing curbs on gold imports in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Finance Minister P. Chidambaram told a news conference on Monday.
India, which used to be the No. 1 buyer of gold before the government slapped a record 10 percent import tax and put in place other restrictions to cut ballooning trade deficit, has recently allowed five private banks to import the metal.
(Reporting by Rajesh Kumar Singh; editing by Malini Menon)
Trending On Reuters
Thousands of Nepalese huddled under tents and sought scarce food and medical supplies on Monday, two days after a massive quake killed more than 3,200 people and overwhelmed authorities. Full Article | Slideshow
- Quake warnings of minutes, not hours, are possible, but pricey
- UNICEF says nearly a million children "severely affected" in Nepal
- Factbox - Foreigners in Nepal at time of deadly earthquake
- "Demons on the mountain"; survivors recall avalanche terror
- In Kathmandu Valley, quake-hit Nepalis fend for themselves