Govt to consult RBI on easing gold import curbs - finance minister
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The government will consider easing curbs on gold imports in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Finance Minister P. Chidambaram told a news conference on Monday.
India, which used to be the No. 1 buyer of gold before the government slapped a record 10 percent import tax and put in place other restrictions to cut ballooning trade deficit, has recently allowed five private banks to import the metal.
(Reporting by Rajesh Kumar Singh; editing by Malini Menon)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Google launches new email service dubbed "Inbox"
- Apple CEO says to add 25 stores in China within two years - Sina
- U.S.-led air strikes killed 521 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria - monitor
- Sensex gains in special trading session on Diwali
- Nissan recalling 260,000 vehicles globally with Takata air bags