Djokovic strolls into Monte Carlo third round

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11am IST

Novak Djokovic of Serbia serves to Albert Montanes of Spain during the Monte Carlo Masters in Monaco April 15, 2014. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard

Novak Djokovic of Serbia serves to Albert Montanes of Spain during the Monte Carlo Masters in Monaco April 15, 2014.

Credit: Reuters/Eric Gaillard

(Reuters) - Novak Djokovic opened his Monte Carlo Masters title defence with a 6-1 6-0 demolition of Spanish qualifier Albert Montanes on Tuesday to reach the third round.

In his first claycourt match of the season, the Serbian world number two won 11 games in succession from 1-1 in a 45-minute stroll on centre court.

Djokovic, bidding to become the first player to achieve an Indian Wells-Miami-Monte Carlo Masters treble in the same season, ended his opponent's ordeal on his first match point with a volley, having broken five times and saved four break points.

Fifth seed Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic was made to work hard to dismiss Russian Dmitry Tursunov 7-5 6-4, while Spain's David Ferrer, the sixth seed, stormed into the third round with a 6-3 6-0 thrashing of Frenchman Jeremy Chardy.

But it was Djokovic who had the easier day.

"For the first match on clay, it was great. I lost only one game, so there were not too many flaws in my game that I could recall," said Djokovic, who has been nursing a wrist problem for a week.

"I have a certain problem that I carry for the last week or so with the wrist," he explained.

"The short match today helped definitely. So I'm going to have some time to heal it."

Djokovic, who 12 months ago ended Rafael Nadal's eight-year reign in the principality, has won the last four Masters events he has played, prevailing in Shanghai, Paris, Indian Wells and Miami and also won the 2013 ATP World Tour Finals.

Earlier, Frenchman Michael Llodra beat Polish 16th seed Jerzy Janowicz in first-round action and French ninth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga struggled to secure a third-round spot in a 6-4 1-6 6-4 defeat of German Philipp Kohlschreiber.

Russian Mikhail Youzhny was the other seeded casualty to go down as the 13th seed was beaten by Italian Andreas Seppi 6-3 7-6(4) in the first round.

Top seed Nadal and former world number one Roger Federer, seeded fourth, enter the fray on Wednesday when they face Russian qualifier Teymuraz Gabashvili and Czech Radek Stepanek respectively in second-round matches.

(Writing by Julien Pretot in Paris; Editing by Ed Osmond and Pritha Sarkar)

Cricket

REUTERS SHOWCASE

Ten Years On

Ten Years On

10 years on, tsunami warning stumbles at the "last mile".  Full Article 

Exit Polls

Exit Polls

BJP unlikely to form Jammu & Kashmir govt - polls.  Full Article 

Forceful Conversions

Forceful Conversions

BJP distances itself from religious conversions.  Full Article 

Hopeful Dhoni

Hopeful Dhoni

India's new vintage nearly ready, says Dhoni.  Full Article 

Photo

Fund Raising

Flipkart raises $700 million in fresh funding.   Full Article 

Reforms Push

Reforms Push

Modi may order insurance, coal reforms if vote delayed - officials.  Full Article 

Ali Hospitalized

Ali Hospitalized

Boxing great Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia.  Full Article 

Going International

Going International

Bollywood’s Priyanka Chopra sets sights on American TV.  Full Article 

India This Week

India This Week

Some of our best photos from this week.   Full Coverage 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device   Full Coverage