China steps up purge of online porn amid wider censorship push

BEIJING Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:43pm IST

A man talks on the phone as he surfs the internet on his laptop at a local coffee shop in downtown Shanghai November 28, 2013. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/Files

A man talks on the phone as he surfs the internet on his laptop at a local coffee shop in downtown Shanghai November 28, 2013.

Credit: Reuters/Carlos Barria/Files

Related Topics

Stocks

   

BEIJING (Reuters) - China has shut down more than 100 websites carrying pornography and closed thousands of accounts on social media sites in an re-newed effort to clean up the internet, state media reported.

The campaign, named "Cleaning the Web 2014", was launched in response to the spread of online pornography despite repeated bans, according to a circular issued by the National Office Against Pornographic and Illegal Publications.

Pornography is illegal in China, but some overseas critics are concerned that the crackdown on material deemed obscene is the latest government attempt to tighten its grip on the internet and will be used in broader censorship of websites.

In the latest drive, authorities have closed 110 websites and more than 3,300 accounts on China-based social networking services, and deleted more than 200,000 items containing pornography since January, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Sunday.

"Disseminating pornographic information online severely harms the physical and mental health of minors, and seriously corrupts social ethos," an unidentified official with the State Internet Information Office was cited by Xinhua as saying.

The campaign, set to last until November, comes after a crackdown on Wechat, Tencent Holdings Ltd's social messaging app, which has had dozens of widely read accounts run by outspoken columnists shut down.

It also follows a move last year to purge online rumour-mongering, widely seen as a tool to punish critics of the ruling Communist Party, which has chilled political disclosure especially on Weibo, China's version of Twitter.

Sina Corp, a major Chinese web portal, temporarily shut down its entire online reading section shortly after the campaign was launched, because "works containing inappropriate content have appeared," the company said in a statement on one of its Weibo microblogs.

Last week, a Beijing court sentenced a man to three years in prison for spreading rumours on Weibo that the court said defamed celebrities and the government.

(Reporting by Li Hui and Michael Martina; Editing by Robert Birsel)

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

  • Most Popular
  • Most Shared

Tech Buzz

TECH SHOWCASE

Privacy Lawsuit

Privacy Lawsuit

Google must face U.S. privacy lawsuit over commingled user data.  Full Article 

New Launch

New Launch

China's Xiaomi announces latest flagship Mi 4 smartphone.  Full Article 

Class Action

Class Action

Google must face class action over kids' in-apps purchases.  Full Article 

Black Hat Conference

Black Hat Conference

Talk on cracking Internet anonymity service Tor canceled.  Full Article 

Nano-Printing

Nano-Printing

Monet masterpiece shrunk down to the size of dust mite.  Video 

Management Changes

Management Changes

BlackBerry names ex-Sybase executive as chief operating officer.  Full Article 

Reuters India Mobile

Reuters India Mobile

Get the latest news on the go. Visit Reuters India on your mobile device.  Full Coverage