BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO has seen no sign that tens of thousands of Russian troops are withdrawing from close to the Ukraine border, a NATO official said on Tuesday, despite a Russian statement that the troops had returned to their permanent positions.
Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu told U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel in a phone call on Monday that Russian forces, which started drills near the border last week, had returned to their permanent positions, according to the Russian government.
"We currently have no information that indicates a withdrawal of Russian troops from the Ukrainian border. We continue to urge Russia to abide by the Geneva agreement and to pull back all its troops along the Ukrainian border in favour of diplomacy and dialogue," a NATO official told Reuters, asked about Shoigu's assertion.
(Reporting by Adrian Croft; editing by Barbara Lewis)
Trending On Reuters
People being investigated in a counter-terrorism investigation in Italy may have been planning an attack against the Vatican, one of the prosecutors leading the probe said. Full Article
- As Armenia marks 1915 killing, Berlin calls it genocide
- Italian police stage raids on group linked to suspected Pakistan plot
- Sudan changes law that left rape victims punished for adultery
- Afghan president orders inquiry into unreleased UN police report
- Korean wartime sex slave calls on Japan PM to apologise on U.S. trip
India to host Afghan leader, seeks to regain ground lost to China, Pakistan Full Article
Gurpreet Singh Sandhu becomes first Indian footballer to play for a top-tier European club. Full Article