Atletico Madrid win La Liga title after draw at Barca
BARCELONA (Reuters) - A towering Diego Godin header secured Atletico Madrid a 1-1 draw against Barcelona and a first La Liga title for 18 years on Saturday.
Barca needed to beat Atletico in a final-day showdown to snatch the title away and Alexis Sanchez gave the hosts hope when he rifled home from an acute angle after 33 minutes at a packed Camp Nou.
But four minutes after the break Godin powered in acorner and Atletico defended robustly to earn the draw they needed and claim their first championship since the 1995-96 season.
Atletico, who contest next weekend's Champions League final against Real Madrid, finished with 90 points with Barca second on 87 and Real, also with 87, in third.
It is the first time in 10 years that either Barca or Real Madrid did not win the league.
(Reporting by Tim Hanlon; editing by Justin Palmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Exclusive - Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- UAE's TAQA pulls out of India power plant deal with Jaiprakash
- Honda's Mobilio car looks to repeat Indonesia success in India
- With sales sputtering, Apple's iPad looks to IBM alliance
- Tendulkar factor adds to pressure on Sindhu
Cricket's absence from Commonwealth Games will continue at least until the 2018 Games in Australia after the International Cricket Council (ICC) turned down an invitation from the governing body of the multi-sport event. Full Article