Atletico Madrid win La Liga title after draw at Barca
BARCELONA (Reuters) - A towering Diego Godin header secured Atletico Madrid a 1-1 draw against Barcelona and a first La Liga title for 18 years on Saturday.
Barca needed to beat Atletico in a final-day showdown to snatch the title away and Alexis Sanchez gave the hosts hope when he rifled home from an acute angle after 33 minutes at a packed Camp Nou.
But four minutes after the break Godin powered in acorner and Atletico defended robustly to earn the draw they needed and claim their first championship since the 1995-96 season.
Atletico, who contest next weekend's Champions League final against Real Madrid, finished with 90 points with Barca second on 87 and Real, also with 87, in third.
It is the first time in 10 years that either Barca or Real Madrid did not win the league.
(Reporting by Tim Hanlon; editing by Justin Palmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Missouri grand jury makes decision in fatal shooting of black teen
- Sting takes bold gamble to save his 'Last Ship' musical
- Cold hard facts: Underwater robot measures Antarctic sea ice |
- Cold hard facts: Underwater robot measures Antarctic sea ice
- Hagel move not seen scuttling efforts on innovation, warships
Australia captain Michael Clarke has no intention of retiring from international cricket in the next 12 months as he continues to battle a chronic back problem that could rule him out of next week's first test against India. Read | Picked up despite injury doubt