Atletico Madrid win La Liga title after draw at Barca
BARCELONA (Reuters) - A towering Diego Godin header secured Atletico Madrid a 1-1 draw against Barcelona and a first La Liga title for 18 years on Saturday.
Barca needed to beat Atletico in a final-day showdown to snatch the title away and Alexis Sanchez gave the hosts hope when he rifled home from an acute angle after 33 minutes at a packed Camp Nou.
But four minutes after the break Godin powered in acorner and Atletico defended robustly to earn the draw they needed and claim their first championship since the 1995-96 season.
Atletico, who contest next weekend's Champions League final against Real Madrid, finished with 90 points with Barca second on 87 and Real, also with 87, in third.
It is the first time in 10 years that either Barca or Real Madrid did not win the league.
(Reporting by Tim Hanlon; editing by Justin Palmer)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India's Mars mission a step closer to success with engine test
- Apple sells more than 10 million new iPhones in first three days |
- PM Modi to get rock star reception in New York
- India withdraws pharma pricing regulator's power to cap non-essential drug prices
- Modi to observe strict fast during maiden trip to U.S.
Soccer World Cup
The 2022 soccer World Cup will be held in Qatar despite doubts raised by a German FIFA executive committee member because of extreme heat in the desert state, local organisers said on Monday. Full Article