RBI's goal is to balance growth, inflation - Rajan
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Reserve Bank of India governor Raghuram Rajan said on Tuesday fighting inflation would continue to be a top priority, although the central bank will also aim to strike a balance between promoting economic growth and containing inflation.
Rajan was speaking to reporters after meeting new Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in the capital.
"It's absolutely a task that the government and the RBI are engaged with," Rajan said when asked if curbing inflation was going to be one of the biggest tasks for the government and the RBI.
But Rajan also added: "RBI has always maintained the balance between growth and inflation."
(Reporting by Manoj Kumar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Govt considers ban on e-cigarettes, sale of single smokes
- Islamic State fighters kill 220 Iraqis from tribe that opposed them
- India's fiscal deficit in H1 almost 83 pct of full-year target
- Muslim men over 50 pray at Jerusalem's Aqsa mosque amid tight security
- Air strikes hit Kobani as Kurdish peshmerga prepare to enter
Shares Hit Record
The BSE Sensex and Nifty surged to record highs for a second consecutive session on Friday after Bank of Japan's surprise expansion of its massive stimulus programme raised hopes for additional foreign inflows, boosting blue-chips such as Larsen & Toubro. Full Article
China's shadow banking sector growing rapidly, third largest in world - FSB. Full Article