RBI's goal is to balance growth, inflation - Rajan
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Reserve Bank of India governor Raghuram Rajan said on Tuesday fighting inflation would continue to be a top priority, although the central bank will also aim to strike a balance between promoting economic growth and containing inflation.
Rajan was speaking to reporters after meeting new Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in the capital.
"It's absolutely a task that the government and the RBI are engaged with," Rajan said when asked if curbing inflation was going to be one of the biggest tasks for the government and the RBI.
But Rajan also added: "RBI has always maintained the balance between growth and inflation."
(Reporting by Manoj Kumar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- U.S. strikes have slowed Iraq militants but not weakened them - Pentagon
- INSIGHT - As Islamic State fighters begin to blend in, defeating them no easy matter
- RBI rule handicaps India's infrastructure hopes
- Japan aims to double India investment in 5 years - Nikkei
- Family of seriously ill Joan Rivers 'keeping fingers crossed' -daughter
The Nifty surged past the psychologically important 8,000 level for the first time to mark its latest record high as blue-chips such as Larsen & Toubro gained after better than expected quarterly economic growth data. Read