RBI's goal is to balance growth, inflation - Rajan
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Reserve Bank of India governor Raghuram Rajan said on Tuesday fighting inflation would continue to be a top priority, although the central bank will also aim to strike a balance between promoting economic growth and containing inflation.
Rajan was speaking to reporters after meeting new Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in the capital.
"It's absolutely a task that the government and the RBI are engaged with," Rajan said when asked if curbing inflation was going to be one of the biggest tasks for the government and the RBI.
But Rajan also added: "RBI has always maintained the balance between growth and inflation."
(Reporting by Manoj Kumar)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- India withdraws regulator's power to cap non-essential drug prices
- U.S. Treasury moves against tax-avoidance 'inversion' deals
- India's Mars mission a step closer to success with engine test
- PM Modi to get rock star reception in New York
- U.S., backed by Arabs, launches first strikes on fighters in Syria
India has withdrawn the drug pricing authority's powers that allowed it to fix the prices of medicines not deemed essential, after its decision to impose price caps on more than 100 drugs in July triggered industry protests. Article