Nigeria defender Echiejile ruled out of World Cup
REUTERS - Defender Elderson Echiejile will miss the World Cup because of an injury suffered in a warm-up match last week, Nigerian officials said on Sunday.
The left back from French club Monaco tore a hamstring in the friendly draw with Greece in Philadelphia on Tuesday and will need a minimum of three weeks to recover.
"We don't have that sort of time to play with," coach Stephen Keshi told reporters after Saturday's 2-1 loss to the United States in Nigeria's last warm-up match before departing for Brazil.
Fellow defender Kenneth Omeruo and winger Ahmed Musa have been passed fit despite both sitting out the defeat by the Americans in Jacksonville.
Nigeria are expected to announce midfielder Ejike Uzoenyi as Echiejile's replacement.
Uzoenyi is from the South African club Mamelodi Sundowns but has been on loan at Enugu Rangers over the last six months.
Nigeria are in Group F with Iran, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Argentina in the World Cup.
(Reporting by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by Sudipto Ganguly)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Boxer Sarita Devi faces action after refusing medal at Asian Games
- Boxer Sarita Devi showed lack of sportsmanship, say organisers
- UPDATE 8-Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- Appointment of Arvind Subramanian as chief economic adviser hits Modi hurdle
- Amazon to sell packaged food and beverages in India - Economic Times
Indian boxer L Sarita Devi's refusal to accept her bronze medal on the podium went against the values of sportsmanship, Asian Games organisers said on Thursday, adding they were reviewing the incident and could take action against her. Article | Related