Brazil recover from early own goal, 1-1 with Croatia at halftime
SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Nervy Brazil fell behind to an 11th-minute Marcelo own goal in the opening game of the World Cup against Croatia on Thursday, but got back on level terms thanks to a sublime Neymar strike just before the half-hour mark at the Corinthians arena.
Roared on by a fanatical home support, Brazil gradually exerted control over the Group A opener and went in to the halftime break looking more like the team many expect to win a record-extending sixth World Cup.
(Reporting by Peter Rutherford; Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Scotland's independence vote: How will the results come?
- UPDATE 1-Apple to unveil new iPads, operating system on Oct. 21 - report
- HIGHLIGHTS - Fed chief Yellen's remarks at press conference
- Chinese hackers breach U.S. military contractors -Senate probe
- Genetic history of modern Europeans a tangled tale, research finds
The Federal Reserve renewed its pledge to keep interest rates near zero for a "considerable time," but also indicated it could raise borrowing costs faster than expected when it starts moving. Article | Factbox
China cenbank injects $81 bln into major banks to support economy - reports Full Article