NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Prime Minister Narendra Modi has accepted an invitation to meet U.S. President Barack Obama in September, as Washington seeks to court India's new government and revive strained relations between the world's two largest democracies.
The Obama administration has been working to boost ties since Modi's thumping election victory, seeing India as an important counterweight to an increasingly assertive China and a prospective export market.
Deputy Secretary of State William Burns delivered a written invitation from Obama to Modi on Friday, the Indian government said in a statement. Obama's letter reiterated earlier invitations.
"We recognise the very strong mandate that he's won and we have a deep interest and stake in his success, in India's success," Burns told news channel NDTV, adding that the meeting with Obama was likely to take place on Sept. 30.
Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won an outright majority in India's parliament in May, something no party has managed for three decades, ousting the Congress party that has long dominated politics.
India and the United States set great store by the economic potential of their ties, but their relationship has been fraught in recent years. Washington has set a strategic goal of expanding their $100 billion annual trade by five times.
In its statement, the Indian government said Modi was "looking forward to a result-oriented visit with concrete outcomes that impart new energy to (the) India-U.S. strategic partnership".
A spokesman for the Ministry of External Affairs confirmed that Modi had formally accepted Obama's invitation.
Modi was denied a visa in 2005 for travel to the United States following religious riots in 2002 while he was a state chief minister. Even so, he has responded positively to the U.S. advances and shown no resentment publicly.
(Reporting by Shyamantha Asokan; Editing by Douglas Busvine and Clarence Fernandez)
Trending On Reuters
Nepali police and local volunteers found the bodies of about 100 trekkers and villagers buried in an avalanche set off by last month's devastating earthquake and were digging through snow and ice for signs of dozens more missing, officials said on Monday. Full Article | Slideshow
- Everest not officially closed to climbers, Nepal says
- Video: Nepalese leave Kathmandu and return to villages
- Monsoons could bring disease, a second crisis, to Nepal - UNICEF
- Insight - Soul-searching over quake ends Everest climbing season
- Video: Relief goods for Nepal quake victims held up, remote areas awaiting aid
Facebook launches open Internet.org platform amid net neutrality debate in India Full Article