Barcelona to sign defender Mathieu from Valencia
BARCELONA (Reuters) - Valencia's French defender Jeremy Mathieu will join Barcelona for a fee of 20 million euros ($26.9 million), the Catalan club said on Wednesday.
“Mathieu will sign a contract with FC Barcelona for the next four seasons plus a further optional,” Barca said in a statement.
“The cost of the transfer is 20 million euros and the buy-out clause will be 50 million euros ($67.32 million).”
The 30-year-old Mathieu will bolster the centre of Barcelona's defence after they missed out on any major trophies last season and their porous backline was a significant factor.
The Frenchman, who can also play at left back, continues the restructuring of the squad under new coach Luis Enrique.
Striker Luis Suarez, midfielder Ivan Rakitic and keepers Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo have also been signed.
Midfielder Cesc Fabregas and forward Alexis Sanchez have left for Chelsea and Arsenal respectively.
(Reporting by Tim Hanlon, Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- Thousands raised to buy car for Pennsylvania sniper's lookalike
- WHO vaccines boss signs up as Ebola trial guinea pig
- UPDATE 4-P&G to exit Duracell battery business; quarterly sales dip
- Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones |
- UPDATE 10-Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola zones
With a little help from her rivals, Serena Williams secured a place in the last four of the WTA Finals on Friday and clinched the year-end number one ranking for the fourth time in her illustrious career. Full Article