Barcelona to sign defender Mathieu from Valencia
BARCELONA (Reuters) - Valencia's French defender Jeremy Mathieu will join Barcelona for a fee of 20 million euros ($26.9 million), the Catalan club said on Wednesday.
“Mathieu will sign a contract with FC Barcelona for the next four seasons plus a further optional,” Barca said in a statement.
“The cost of the transfer is 20 million euros and the buy-out clause will be 50 million euros ($67.32 million).”
The 30-year-old Mathieu will bolster the centre of Barcelona's defence after they missed out on any major trophies last season and their porous backline was a significant factor.
The Frenchman, who can also play at left back, continues the restructuring of the squad under new coach Luis Enrique.
Striker Luis Suarez, midfielder Ivan Rakitic and keepers Marc-Andre ter Stegen and Claudio Bravo have also been signed.
Midfielder Cesc Fabregas and forward Alexis Sanchez have left for Chelsea and Arsenal respectively.
(Reporting by Tim Hanlon, Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this
- UPDATE 8-Dallas Ebola patient vomited outside apartment on way to hospital
- Boxer Sarita Devi faces action after refusing medal at Asian Games
- Appointment of Arvind Subramanian as chief economic adviser hits Modi hurdle
- Putin says Russia wants to move to national currencies in trade
- China tells foreign countries not to meddle in Hong Kong
Indian boxer L Sarita Devi's refusal to accept her bronze medal on the podium went against the values of sportsmanship, Asian Games organisers said on Thursday, adding they were reviewing the incident and could take action against her. Article | Related