ALGIERS Algeria will not allow foreigners to help secure its oil facilities, Oil Minister Youcef Yousfi said on Sunday during a short visit to the In Amenas gas plant.
"It is out of the question to allow foreign security forces to handle the security of our oil facilities," Yousfi was quoted as saying by the official APS news agency.
Yousfi, speaking after Algerian forces ended a hostage crisis at the plant in the Sahara desert, said that security would be reinforced at oil facilities.
He added that damage at the plant was not very significant, and that the Tiguentourine plant should resume functionning after two days.
(Reporting By Lamine Chikhi)
Trending On Reuters
The selection of a hard-line cleric as the new Taliban chief on Wednesday all but dashes U.S. President Barack Obama's hopes for opening peace talks before he leaves office, one of his top foreign policy goals, current and former U.S. defence and intelligence officials said. Full Article
- Japan's Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit agenda
- Exclusive: EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote - sources
- Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu - monitor SITE
- China says its people will never stand for Taiwan independence
- Eight protesters arrested at Trump rally in California