BEIJING Alibaba Group Holding Ltd, the Chinese e-commerce titan gearing up for a mammoth U.S. initial public offering, has reported a blackmail attempt by a media organisation to police, the company said on its official microblog on Friday.
Alibaba said on its Weibo microblog that the media organisation sought $300,000 to suppress a negative report about the company. Alibaba said the matter had been reported to police in Hangzhou, where the firm is based.
Alibaba's listing on the New York Stock Exchange could be one of the biggest initial public offerings ever. The company, founded by Jack Ma, is now looking at a September debut, a source told Reuters on Thursday.
(Reporting by Paul Carsten. Editing by David Clarke)
Trending On Reuters
Three teenagers playing the hit game Pokemon GO have been robbed at gunpoint in a north London park and forced to hand over their mobile phones, British police said on Saturday. Full Article
- Russia says spyware found in state computer networks
- Tesla mulling two theories to explain 'Autopilot' crash - source
- Exclusive: Clinton campaign also hacked in attacks on Democrats
- Video: Blind athlete runs desert marathon unassisted using smartphone app
- Video: Exercise plus electro-stimulation boosts calorie burn, study says